Quinoa Avocado Sushi
By plantbased-pixie on September 03, 2014
Most of the time I’m too lazy to put a lot of effort into my lunch, so I generally go for a (mostly) raw salad that takes 5-10 minutes to put together. But sometimes it’s nice to have something a little more fancy, and so enters my quinoa avocado sushi. I prefer to use quinoa as it’s quicker to cook than brown rice plus it contains a lot of protein, and adding mashed avocado to it really helps it all stick together just like sushi rice would. For the fillings you can use anything you like! In the images below I used cucumber, orange pepper, and purple cabbage.
40g uncooked quinoa
200mL boiling water
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
A pinch of salt
1 small avocado
2 nori sheets
Your choice of vegetable fillings
Tamari or soy sauce for dipping
- In a small pot add the quinoa, water, apple cider vinegar, and salt
- Bring to the boil and then let it simmer gently until all the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is nice and fluffy
- in the meantime prepare your fillings
- In a small bowl mash the avocado, then add the cooked quinoa and combine
- Place one nori sheet on a sushi bamboo rolling mat with the shiny side down. Spread half the quinoa-avocado mixture over the bottom half or the sheet, leaving a small gap at the bottom (closest to you)
- Add your fillings along the centre of the quinoa, and roll. If you’re not sure how to do this check out this video here.
- Dip a very sharp knife in water and slice your sushi carefully into bite sized pieces. You might want to remove the ends as they don’t look as pretty.
- Serve with a dipping sauce and turn the leftover veggies into a mini Pixie Plate!
More Like This
Recent Posts by plantbased-pixie
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Melissa Ford
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Cooking for Health
Recent Comments on Cooking for Health