Quinoa with Grilled Summer Squash and Green Beans
By TwoPeasandTheirPod on August 01, 2012
BlogHer Original Post
Josh likes to go mountain biking on Saturday mornings. Mountain biking is not my thing, I am still getting used to riding my bike around the neighborhood, so I gladly stay with Caleb. I love our Saturday mornings together, just me and my little pea.
One of our favorite Saturday morning activities is going to the farmers market. I push Caleb in the stroller and we wander around the market. Caleb loves the commotion at the market. There are so many new things for him to look at. He waves to the people and goes crazy when he sees a dog. We have to stop to say hi to a lot of doggies:)
I love shopping for fresh, local produce. Last Saturday we purchased zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, and a watermelon. I used the vegetables to make Quinoa with Grilled Summer Squash and Green Beans.
When Josh got home from his bike ride, I showed him our fun market finds and we made lunch together. We do a lot of grilling during the summer months. I love grilling because we don't heat up the house, it's a healthy way to cook, and the flavor is incredible. Plus, Josh always mans the grill so I don't have to do much work..ha!
I cooked up some quinoa and prepared the vegetables. I tossed the zucchini, yellow squash, and green beans in a balsamic dressing and put them in a grill basket. If you don't have a grill basket, you can wrap the veggies in aluminum foil and place the packet on the grill.
Josh grilled the veggies to perfection and I added them to the cooked quinoa. I stirred in freshly chopped basil and drizzled the dish with a splash of balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I sprinkled a little Parmesan cheese on top and voila-a delicious market fresh meal!
We enjoyed our lunch on the patio and talked about our Saturday mornings. Josh always has good bike stories to tell and he loves hearing about our adventures at the market. I love summer Saturdays, especially when good food is involved!
Don't let summer's bounty pass you by. Head out to the market or your garden and gather some fresh summer vegetables to make this Quinoa with Grilled Summer Squash & Green Beans dish.
Quinoa with Grilled Summer Squash & Green Beans
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
This healthy quinoa dish with grilled vegetables makes a great summer dinner or lunch.
- 1 cup uncooked black quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 large yellow squash, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, ends snapped off
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- alt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped basil leaves
- Extra balsamic vinegar and olive oil, for drizzling over dish, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, for garnish, optional
1. Using a strainer, rinse the quinoa under cold water. Add quinoa, water, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, place the zucchini, yellow squash, and green beans in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and garlic. Pour balsamic dressing over the vegetables and toss until vegetables are well coated. Season vegetables with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Heat grill to medium-high heat. Place the vegetables in a grill basket. If you don't have a grill basket, spread out the vegetables on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Add a top sheet of foil and crimp the edges of the sheets together to make a packet. Place on the hot grill and cook until tender crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the grill.
4. Place the cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add the grilled summer squash, green beans, basil, and stir. Drizzle with extra balsamic vinegar and olive oil, if desired. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish dish with Parmesan cheese, if using. Serve warm.
More Like This
Recent Posts by TwoPeasandTheirPod
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Kim Court
Go Wild! comes in different flavors such as Tropical Twist, Savage Strawberry, or Go Bananas and Berry. Twice the calcium and no artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners or high-fructose corn syrup. BlogHer and Go Wild! asked moms to create activities for their kids. Check out their posts and see what activity you can re-create for your little ones while they enjoy their nutritious snack! Read more