Quinoa Pilaf with Brussel Sprouts
Jason was out of town last night so when it came time for dinner I found myself rummaging through the refrigerator and pantry looking for something easy and nutritious to make. I actually do this quit often but the meals I come up with are usually not worth writing about. And then last night happened.
I may or may not be slightly obsessed with the combination of goat cheese and cranberries. Perhaps my love for Christmas is starting to show in my cooking. Either way this colorful pilaf is bursting with flavor. I know brussels sprouts aren't every ones favorite vegetable so you can substitute something else green such as peas or spinach into the mix. Make this pilaf to serve along side some salmon or chicken or simply have it as your main meal.
Quinoa Pilaf with Brussels Sprouts
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chopped brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Cook quinoa according to the package directions (15-20 minutes). Drain any excess water.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet saute the brussels sprouts in butter. Once the sprouts are tender and starting to brown add in the cooked quinoa
- In a small bowl mix together olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pour mixture in the skillet with the quinoa and mix well.
- Stir in the goat cheese and let it melt. Add sunflower seeds and cranberries mixing all the ingredients into the pilaf. Remove from heat and serve
Top with additional goat cheese