RECIPE | Anytime Breakfast Tostada
By The Girls on Bloor on August 23, 2014
One of our most favourite recipes is a breakfast tostada. We were recently inspired by one of our favourite brunch places, Origin, that makes a killer breakfast tostada with refried beans and a fried egg, and decided that it was high time to share our own surprisingly super EASY recipe!
Read below to find out how to make this scrumptious anytime breakfast dish, which serves as a perfect breakfast-in-bed treat for a special someone!
-One package pre-made tostadas (found in most Mexican sections of grocery stores)
-one can black beans
-1/4 cup sour cream
-1/8 cup salsa
-Sriracha/tabasco to taste
-1/4 cup shredded cheese
-salt & pepper to taste
-2 slices bacon (we like to substitute with turkey bacon for a healthier alternative)
-1 egg, fried
-cilantro & diced fresh tomatoes
1) Make your own refried beans with a can of rinsed black beans, sour cream, a bit of water, salsa, salt & pepper, hot sauce of your choice, and shredded cheese. Mash your beans with sour cream and salsa before adding in cheese. Cook until boiling, about 10 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, heat your tostadas in the oven. You can also fry in oil over the stove as per the package directions but we are always looking for healthier ways of cooking, so in that case your oven is your best bet.
3) Cook your bacon according to how you like. You can do it in the oven with the tostadas but the turkey bacon you will have to fry for 5 minutes or so.
4) Once the tostadas have been in the oven for 5-10 minutes, take them out and top with refried beans and chopped cilantro. Lay your bacon on top of the bean mixture.
5) Cook your fried egg slowly in a frying pan on low heat until yolk holds less liquid. Stack your tostada with another layer of of beans and bacon if desired, and top with your fried egg along with cilantro, hot sauce and tomatoes. Accompany with sliced avocado and a lime slice, along with any condiments of your choice.
We love a side of hash browns and sour cream but it’s up to you! We love tostadas for the variety of toppings!