Recipe by a Menopausal Chef: “Improvised Linguini & Tuna Mélange”
By HomeRearedChef on June 09, 2011
Featured Member Post
By far this has to be the best pasta recipe, to date, that I have put together on a spur-of-the-moment, improvised, a mélange of ingredients from the pantry and fridge—simplicity at its finest. And to think, foolishly though, that this very morning I’d convinced me and menopause, my alter ego, we’d once-gain start our diet! I said it before and I’ll say it again, “what was I thinking?”
This is not just about eating, you see. It is about the heart and love that goes into each recipe I create; it is about the results—the accomplished dish and how it favors on the taste buds, and how it ignites my soul to feel alive. How could I, in my menopausal state, be expected to just give up my passion? Cooking and eating!
Give this recipe a try, and then you be the judge.
Come and take a comfortable seat at our cozy table, dinner is served!
Recipe makes 4 servings
Improvised Linguini & Tuna Mélange
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
Salt for pasta water
1 tablespoon olive oil (for pasta water)
1 pound box linguini
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups shredded carrots (measured shredded)
4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced (more or less to taste)
1 tablespoon Garam Masala powder
1/2 cup cream sherry
1/3 cup cooked pasta water
3 cans (un-drained) good solid tuna (Tonno Gevona in olive oil was used)
1 bunch green onions/scallions, finely chopped
4 Roma/plum tomatoes cut into bite-size pieces
Cooked and drained pasta
1. Put a large pot of water with the bay leaf and turmeric powder to boil
2. When the water is boiling add salt (plenty or to taste), olive oil and linguini and cook to desired doneness (reserve 1/3 cup pasta water to add to the carrots sauté)
3. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, on the large burner and on medium heat, heat olive oil and butter
4. When oils are sizzling add carrots and cook until wilting
5. When carrots are wilting add garlic and Garam Masala and sauté until garlic is just beginning to golden (a couple minutes)
6. Add sherry and reduce by half
7. Add reserved pasta water, tuna (with the oil) and green onions and cook until heated through and steaming
8. Lastly, add tomatoes and the cooked/drained pasta and heat well through
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Cook with heart; eat with gusto. Buen Provecho!
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Resolve® Gold In-Wash Stain Remover is so powerful that it removes some stains in just 30 seconds! We asked our bloggers to give the new Resolve® Gold line of products a try and share their best stain removal tips. Check out their blog posts and learn how you can enter to win a $5,000 shopping spree! Plus, weekly prizes valued at $250! Read more
Most Popular on Food
Success Rice Farms Reviews & Giveaways
Success® Rice is the ORIGINAL no mess, no measure boil-in-bag rice that cooks perfectly every time and is ready in 10 minutes. Read our bloggers' posts and see how they make hearty meals by adding Success® Rice into their favorite recipes plus get a chance to win $100.