Recipe for Red Onion and Apple Chutney
By Karen Vivers on February 04, 2014
Over the winter months, I've become a bit obsessed with preserving, pickling and jamming. I love it! Thing is, I've become a victim of my own success (don't you just hate it when people say that!). I don't want store bought chutneys, pickles or relishes anymore. They no longer hit the flavour spot for me so, I have to make my own. This recipe is quick and simple, no hours of boiling and reducing. So, if you really need your own flavour for that burger or to have with some tangy goat's cheese, this is the one for you.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for approx. 800 ml / 1.6 pt U.S / 1.4 pt U.K
4 x red onions, sliced thinly
2 x medium apples, peeled and chopped into small cubes
4 x cloves of garlic, chopped finely
75gr / 2.5 oz. brown sugar
75ml / 2.5 fl. oz. red wine vinegar
75ml / 2.5 fl. oz. red wine
¼ tsp salt
1 x tbsp pomegranate concentrate (or about a tbsp of lemon juice)
- Place the onions, garlic and sugar in a heavy bottomed pan, cover and cook on a medium heat until the onions are soft. This will take about 10 minutes. Just be careful that it is not too hot so that the onions don’t stick and the sugar doesn’t burn.
- Add the apples and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine, the red wine vinegar and add the salt, cook without the lid at a gentle simmer until the mixture has reduced, has become thicker and sticky and the apples have softened.
- Remove from the heat, add the pomegranate concentrate, stir through and allow to cool.
- Once cool, store in sealed sterilized glass jars. This chutney will keep for a good few months.
Tips and Variations
- I like to serve this chutney with sausages, hamburgers, cold meats and strong cheeses. It goes really well with goat’s cheese.
- For a spicy version add some dried or fresh chili and cook down with the onions.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Karen Vivers
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more