Resources to Help You with a Facebook Fan Page
By Virginia DeBolt on March 30, 2010
BlogHer Original Post
Are you thinking that your organization or business needs a Facebook Fan Page? Perhaps you're not quite clear about what to do and how to do it. The resources listed here will help you decide if a Facebook Fan Page is for you, and will give you some tips and how-tos.
An excellent tutorial on the fine points of creating a Facebook Fan Page by Orli Yakuel made me stop and think. I've seen a lot of fan pages on Facebook. I've seen many articles about why Facebook Fan Pages are a good idea for your business or organization. This tutorial stands out for its tips on how to write Facebook specific markup and other goodies.
There's a Facebook Application called Static FBML that you add to your page. With this application, you can create either HTML or FBML (Facebook Markup Language) to customize the appearance of your page.
Facebook itself provides information to help you create your page. Here's a slideshow from Facebook on How to Use Mobile Phone to Update Facebook Pages. Take a look at 10 Key SEO Strategies Every Facebook Page Owner Should Know, too. Facebook Help has tips for making pages.
Tips for Using Facebook Fan Pages
Many helpful articles here at BlogHer and elsewhere can help you craft the purpose and content of your Facebook Fan Page. Here are a few:
- How to Create & Maintain a Facebook Fan Page by Irene Williams, who has many helpful articles on BlogHer about Facebook. It's worth a look at everything from Irene about Facebook. She's bursting with good ideas.
- 10 Tips for an Effective Nonprofit or Do-Good Facebook Fan Page by Beth Kanter
- So you want a Facebook Fan Page for Your Nonprofit? Here's the Scoop! also from Beth Kanter
- 8 Tips For Getting Your Fan Page Found In Facebook Search comes from Search Engine Land
- Building a Facebook Fan Page for Your Blog is from Scary Mommy
- Tips To Get People To Join Your Facebook Fan Page by Lisa Barone
- How To Setup/Create Facebook Fan Page For Blogger from Blogger Tips and Tricks
- 10 Steps To Create The Ultimate Facebook Fan Page for Your Brand by Ayelet Noff
Some Facebook Fan Page Examples
In the learn from others category, here are some examples of existing fan pages to study.
- BlogHer, of course. You ARE a fan, right?
- An organization page: AAUW
- A community college: CNM Online
- A cause: Medicinal Marzipan
- A group: Confessions of a Renegade Mom
- A business: Social Networking Nanny
- A website: Women at Forty
- A small business: Kabai33. On Kabai33's web site you can find
10 Facebook Fan Page Tips for Creative Entrepreneurs
From the nitty gritty details to high level theory, these resources provide enough good advice to help you get an effective Facebook Fan Page up and running.
If you are a BlogHer member with a Facebook Fan Page, how about dropping a link to your page in the comments? We'll pay you a visit.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Virginia DeBolt
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Genie Gratto
Most Popular on Blogging & Social Media
Recent Comments on Blogging & Social Media