Rock it in Red
It's February, the month of love. Some of us may be gearing up for Valentines Day and sending sweet nothings to the person we love, but we want to focus on YOUR HEART and loving IT! That’s why we’reGOING RED! I know it seems like we hear it all the time, but it bears reminding again – heart disease is the number one killer of women. It kills more women than all cancers combined. That’s pretty serious business, so no more denying it, Ladies – we need to take ownership of our hearts. I think we all know the important things to do to keep our heart healthy, but here’s just a few to remind us:
- Know your numbers – and I’m not talking about the number for your favorite take-out. I’m talking things like your cholesterol, your lipid panel and even numbers like the suggested sodium limit of 1500 mg/day. Seriously, if you haven’t been to the doctor lately, make that appointment and get to know your heart health.
- Lower stress in your life – Yeah, right, you say. Well, we all have stress and we know it’s nearly impossible to avoid, but why not try meditation or yoga? Even if you only have a few minutes a day, I promise it will help.
- Speaking of yoga, don’t forget how important exercise is. Trust us, we are no marathon runners, but ya gotta do something, so pick something you enjoy and do it. How about grabbing your girlfriend and get out and walk? Your heart will be twice as happy afterwards.
- Now for the fun stuff – Happy Hour! Yahoo! We have the go ahead to drink red wine! Okay, well, I guess I must add that the doctors say in moderation, but still – it’s good for the heart.
- And for more fun – try dark chocolate. We know eating healthy is important, but no more denying yourself some sweet treats. Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants and also good for our hearts. So go ahead and indulge…a little.
To read the full post please visit our blog at: