Salted Caramel Chocolate Donuts
By ssuire on February 13, 2012
Are you looking for something sinfully delicious to make for your Valentine this year? These homemade donuts satisfy both salty and sweet cravings and are better for dessert than they are for breakfast.
Dripping with chocolate frosting and caramel drizzle, these donuts will having you licking your fingers so you don't miss a drop of that salty sweetness. Or you could let your Valentine lick your fingers for you...
Oh yeah, I just went there.
Before you get carried away with your Valentine, you need to convince me share this recipe with you...
Don't worry, I won't make you whisper sweet nothings into my ear. I'm still on a chocolate high so I am more than willing to share my rec ipe with you.
Salted Caramel Chocolate Donuts (Click here for Printable Version)
Serves: 8 Donuts
Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Donuts:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk*
- *If you do not have buttermilk on hand, add 3/4 teaspoon of white vinegar to a measuring cup then add milk to equal 3/4 of a cup. Allow to sit for 5 minutes then stir and use the needed amount in your recipe.
Ingredients for Chocolate Glaze:
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk
Ingredients for Caramel Drizzle:
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- Sea salt to sprinkle over donuts
Directions for Donuts:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray donut pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Stir in melted butter, vanilla, egg and buttermilk until well combined.
- Carefully spoon into donut pan and bake for 8-10 minutes or until donuts spring back to the touch. (Note: Batter makes more than 6 donuts so if you have a six donut pan you will have to bake a second batch for the two extra donuts).
- Allow to cool complete on a wire rack before frosting.
Directions for Chocolate Glaze:
- While the donuts are baking, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small bowl.
- Whisk in vanilla extract and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and stir, then add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread glaze over donuts.
Directions for Caramel Drizzle:
- Melt butter in a small pan over medium heat. Stir in sugar then increase heat to medium-high. Continue to stir while cooking until mixture turns the color of caramel, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in cream.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring to allow mixture to thicken. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. (Note: Recipe makes approximately 1/2 cup of caramel, store remaining in air-tight container.)
- Immediately drizzle caramel over chocolate frosting then sprinkle with sea salt.
Go make these NOW for your Valentine!
Happy Valentine's Day!!!