San Francisco Recipe: Parmesan, Cauliflower and Parsley Salad
Gourmet Live and BlogHer have joined forces to take you on a culinary road trip. We're making monthly stops across the country to bring you insider tips from local bloggers about the can't-miss restaurants and the local food scene. Explore the destinations that define each city's cuisine with Gourmet Live and BlogHer as your guides -- and get a San Francisco recipe from Gourmet.com now.
|March 16AUSTIN||July 27SAN DIEGO|
|April 27ATLANTA||August 31CHICAGO|
|June 1SAN FRANCISCO||Sept. 28NEW YORK|
|June 29WASHINGTON DC|
- Active time: 35 min
- Start to finish: 40 min
Fried with a Parmesan coating, humble cauliflower takes on a whole new appeal in this salad; lots of parsley makes it aromatic and refreshing.
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 oz white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 5 cups loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves (from 2 large bunches)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (10-oz) packages frozen cauliflower florets, thawed and patted dry
- 2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated with a rasp (2 cups)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Marinate mushrooms for salad:
- Stir together zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Whisk in oil until combined, then stir in mushrooms and marinate while pan-frying cauliflower.
- Lightly beat eggs with salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add cauliflower and toss until coated well. Put cheese in a large bowl. Lift cauliflower out of egg mixture with a slotted spoon and transfer to cheese, tossing to coat.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then pan-fry cauliflower in 3 batches, turning occasionally, until golden on all sides, about 3 minutes per batch.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
- Add parsley and cauliflower to mushroom mixture, tossing to combine.
See BlogHer's exclusive tips on San Francisco's food scene and find out the next stops on the Gourmet Live and BlogHer Road Trip now. And for 10 more exclusive San Francisco tips and recipes, download the free Gourmet Live iPad or iPhone app or visit the Gourmet Live blog.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Julie Ross Godar
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Recipes
Recent Comments on Recipes