By writegrrrl on March 20, 2014
Today's NaBloPoMo prompt asks the question: "Benjamin Franklin said: There are three things extremely hard: steel, a diamond and to know one's self." Do you know yourself?
First though: "No, that's why I'm in therapy."
Second thought: "Yes, that's why I'm in therapy."
I mean I'm really impressed with all the posts from people who so confidently do know themselves. You've figured out what makes you tick--what makes you you--and you act on it accordingly.
Meanwhile I feel as though my self comprises many selves. Many conflicting selves.
- I'm an extroverted introvert.
- Or maybe that's an introverted extrovert.
- I love my friends fiercely, but I love to be alone.
- I can be extremely frugal and practical and yet I'm often broke. (I mean not broke-broke, but just sort of frustratingly not not-broke).
- I'm a narcissist but I get uncomfortable having too much of a spotlight on me.
- Although I don't mind speaking in public and am pretty comfortable speaking in front a class as an instructor.
- As a writer I love words and love it when I have the luxury of time to craft sentences and labor sentences.
- As a writer I really suck at grammar. I blame this on cutting many a high school English class. Comma splices are my biggest weakness. I'm working on this though.
- As a writer I think I'm OK at my craft. Mostly. I mean, sometimes.
- Sometimes I can't bear to read what I've written.
- Sometimes I'm plagued by self-loathing.
- Sometimes I. Just. Can't. Even.
- I pretty much refuse to abbreviate or use terms such as LOL, OMG or 2 and U in emails, texts, etc.
- I'm an emoji abuser.
- I make a conscious effort to eat healthy and exercise. I genuinely love flax and quinoa and kale and all those other nerdy foods.
- I eat way too much sugar.
- I'm a feminist who worries who worries about how I look.
- I didn't have children and I'm OK with that.
- I didn't have children and it eats at me a little every day.
- I love being self-sufficient and smart and enterprising and career-oriented.
- I think I missed my calling as a rich, spoiled housewife.
- I'm a really hard worker who doesn't know how to relax.
- I can be really, really lazy.
- I can be hyper-organized--live and die by the to-do list.
- I am super-disorganized and at least once a day misplace something really, really important.
- Nothing makes me happier than traveling.
- Or being at home.
So do I know myself? I guess. Maybe. Sort of. A little bit, but really not at all.
More Like This
Recent Posts by writegrrrl
Most Popular on BlogHer
Lean Cuisine believes that women should be valued for their accomplishments as opposed to their weight/appearance. Lean Cuisine's new brand campaign Feed Your PhenomenalTM reflects its new brand purpose: to feed the greatness in every woman. Check out our bloggers' posts and see how they measure their true worth plus learn how you could win a $100. Read more
Most Popular on Blogging & Social Media
Recent Comments on Blogging & Social Media