This past week I've had my sister Chris here painting almost every square inch of my house. In the process, we emptied every closet and are putting back only things we really like, use and need. It really feels good and everything is really coming into place. I feel like I have a new house!
I decided since it's spring, I need to do a spring cleaning on my body too. For those of you who followed me on my sugar detox this is a MUCH stricter diet and will be at least two weeks long. It is an elimination diet which means all foods which can be typically allergenic will be taken out. Once I'm done with the diet, I will add one food back in every four days and see how my body reacts.
Basically, I am taking out the following foods:
1. Dairy (milk, butter, yogurt, cheese)
2. Gluten (wheat, spelt, oats, kamut, barley, rye) This means no bread, pasta, crackers etc
4. Soy (soy milk, soy sauce etc.) If you have thyroid issues, this is definitely something to consider taking out of your diet.
5. Nightshade veggies (Tomatoes (Wah!!), potatoes (What's an Irish girl to do!), peppers, eggplant, cayenne) I have never paid attention to nightshade veggies. Apparently, there is some evidence that this can aggravate arthritis, fibromyalgia and other auto immunine diseases.
6. Citrus (oranges, grapefruit) You can have lemon and lime. I guess I better eat up all that citrus I just bought!
7. Molds: That sounds disgusting, doesn't it? No shrooms, except shitake, melons, peanuts, macadamias, bacteria, products with yeast, alcohol....What? Again, Irish girl here. ;-)
8. No distilled foods (No vinegar, except apple cider, pickles, olives, ketchup, mustard, alcohol (What? Is alcohol so bad, they had to name it twice? Nah.)
10. All packaged, canned, frozen, refined processed and store bought items, (Unless it's organic)
11. Corn (As I mentioned before in my sugar detox blog, having no corn is just wrong for a girl who comes from two Iowa parents. ;-)
I already know my body doesn't handle dairy, soy and wheat well. I'm not really sure about the other gluten. I haven't experimented enough to know. These "allergies" are probably the most common ones for most. I put allergies in quotations because it's not a true allergy. I'm not going to keel over if I ingest some of those things. It's really more of a food intolerance. I know that every single time I have dairy, I wake up all congested. If I have too much soy, I can't sleep and it messes with my thyroid. (Very weird, I know.) If I have wheat, I have brain fog and gain weight, usually four pounds, for some strange reason.
Tomorrow I'll list what I can eat... a shortish list indeed.
In order to comment on BlogHer.com, you'll need to be logged in. You'll be given the option to log in or create an account when you publish your comment. If you do not log in or create an account, your comment will not be displayed.
Lean Pockets have no artificial flavors, a good source of protein & have 100% real cheese. Read our bloggers posts where they will tell you their guilt free experiences with Lean Pockets. Plus get a chance to win $100! Read more