Serve to Win: The 14-Day Gluten-Free Plan for Physical and Mental Excellence
By Joanne Eglash on August 26, 2014
No gluten. No dairy. No cold foods. Celebrity tennis player Novak Djokovic has developed a diet so extreme that it took a book to share the details: "Serve to Win: The 14-Day Gluten-Free Plan for Physical and Mental Excellence" (click for more information).
Why did the commander of the court decide to follow such a rigid plan?
His body "demanded" it, he says in his book, originally reported in the Examiner.
"My life changed because I had begun to eat the right foods for my body, in the way that my body demanded," he says.
Here are Novak's rules that involve Chinese medicine:
- Drinking warm water throughout the day, which he believes in because cold water slows digestion and “diverts blood away from where I want it — in my muscles."
- Sipping a tall glass of room-temperature water as soon as he gets up.
- Relaxing by enjoying a cup of warm licorice tea like Stash Herbal Licorice Spice Tea.
- Eliminate dairy
- Cut down on sugar
"Every morning I wake up ... I drink a glass of water and do my stretching, maybe mixed with some yoga or tai chi, for 20 minutes. I eat a breakfast perfectly calibrated to my body for the day ahead - the same breakfast almost every day of my life," he writes.
A sample day for staying slim and trim:
- Breakfast: Water first thing out of bed; two tablespoons of honey; muesli (including organic gluten-free rolled oats, cranberries, raisins, pumpkin or sunflower seeds and almonds)
- Mid-morning snack (if needed): Gluten-free bread or crackers with avocado and tuna
- Lunch: Mixed-greens salad, gluten-free pasta primavera (including rice pasta, summer squash, courgettes, asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes and optional vegan cheese)
- Mid-afternoon snack: Apple with cashew butter; melon
- Dinner: Kale caesar salad (kale, fennel, quinoa and pine nuts) plus dressing (including anchovies or sardines); minestrone soup; salmon fillets (skin on) with roasted tomatoes and marinade.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Joanne Eglash
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Health
Nature Made Gummies
With a little help from Nature Made, bloggers share the benefits of a well-balanced life and prioritizing your health in a fun and enjoyable way!