Shared risk programs
Many insurance companies do not cover fertility medications or the treatments. Some people are super lucky and treatments are covered.
For those who aren’t, there are financial options, but ultimately, it’s just plain expensive. Clomid is fairly affordable, but once you get to injections and paying out of pocket, its expensive, and the chances for multiples increases.
For us, we could not afford IVF for a long time, so we went with IUI’s which had less than 20% chance of success (for me personally). IVF had an 80% chance of working. My dad is a banker. I sat with him and weighed the pro’s and cons of each and showed him the success rates and we had to figure out what to do. I needed financial advice.
We found a shared risk program that seemed amazing but in the beginning I thought for sure that it was too good to be true. If you’re not familiar with them, check it out. It’s more money upfront but for us ended up being the best way to go.
For our shared risk, we had to apply into the program. That meant re-doing all of our fertility tests, etc. Afterall, if they’re going to accept you into the program, they want to run their own tests. The idea is if you elect to participate in the IVF Success or Refund Program you pay more than you would for a single cycle but you are guaranteed to have 4 completed IVF treatments for that one price and if you are not successful after the 4th attempt then your money is refunded 100% (less out of pocket medications). My program defined success the same way you do- bringing home a baby.
With an average of $8,500 per IVF with my doctors, as you can see, if you do not conceive after the second IVF treatment and need to go on to a third IVF treatment then you will save a significant amount of money by participating in the Shared Risk Program. In the case of Donor IVF there is cost savings if you need to do a second treatment cycle. They’re betting that they will get you pregnant and you’ll deliver your baby before you have completed 4 IVF treatments. In this way they share the financial risk of your treatments. Their program is highly successful and they have been providing IVF care to this region for over 20 years. Programs with lower pregnancy success would be hard-pressed to offer a refund program.
If we’d gotten that money back, we would have still been able to adopt and become parents. We really had to weigh each option and think about it and it was not an easy decision….but talk to the doctors and to a financial planner. There are options but its a matter of finding the right program for you.
For more blog posts go to infertilitysurvivor.wordpress.com