Six Simple Stress Busters That Work!
By MLemley on February 28, 2013
1. Throw Back Your Head and Laugh. Laughing increases blood flow and relaxes your blood vessels. It lightens your mood and just plain feels good. The exact opposite happens when you're stressed.
2. Stop and Smell the Roses. Actually, I’m talking about aromatherapy. The fragrance of: lemon, orange, mango, grape, lavender, and basil, contain a compound called linalool, whose scent reduces anxiety.
3. Take a Few Deep Breaths. Sometimes we are so focused on what we are doing our breathing becomes fast and shallow. Our breathing may reflect our desire to finish a monotonous task or simply trying to get it done quickly. If we mindfully slow our breathing and take deeper breaths we immediately feel less tense.
4. Indulge in organic black tea. Did you know that people who regularly drink black tea seem to handle tension better? Researchers in London found that their bodies relax, and their stress responses turn around faster. Check out the University College London’s findings in the journal Psychopharmacology.
5. Pop a Piece of Gum. A study presented at the 2008 10th International Congress of Behavioral Medicine of more than 2,000 workers found less significant levels of stress in those who chewed gum. The study also showed that gum chewing helped relieve anxiety, and improve alertness.
6. Be Silent. Spend some time in absolute silence each and every day. We live in a loud world. We are surrounded by high-tech devices that are constantly bombarding us with sound. This may cause us to become over stimulated, which is damaging to our health. Make time to take a break. Simply take a few minutes to recharge and appreciate the stillness.
Be the Path!