By glutenfreegigi on June 12, 2014
If you’re a lover of all things avocado like me, you may cringe a little when you read the ingredients list. You may think, What the H-E-double hockey sticks are you thinking, Gigi?
It’s OK if you do. I’ve got you covered with my traditional Guacamole recipe.
But, some of you will appreciate a reduced-fat version of the classic dip. I know because you’ve requested a recipe like this about a zillion times. So, here ’tis… Skinny Guacamole. And even though I don’t count fat grams or calories, I really do love this alternative version of guacamole. Green peas are a favorite of mine, so there is definitely a place for this recipe in my repertoire.
The peas add volume without compromising flavor, and the avocado adds the silky texture and rich flavor we associate with traditional guacamole. You’ll also benefit from plenty of heart healthy oleic acid, fiber, potassium and vitamins B, E, and K, so give Skinny Guacamole a try and let me know what you think!
Prep time: 10 mins
Total time: 10 mins
This recipe is free from gluten, dairy (optional), soy, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, grains.
- 10 ounce bag frozen green peas, thawed at room temperature (not heated)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and seed removed
- ¼ bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons milk (I prefer unsweetened coconut milk, but use any dairy-or plant-based milk of your choice.)
- Juice from ½ lime
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground toasted cumin seeds
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In your food processor, puree peas, avocado, cilantro, milk, lime juice, salt, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and cumin until smooth. (This takes about 2 minutes.)
- Scrape down sides of processor bowl and pulse several times.
- Spoon mixture into serving dish and stir in onion and black pepper.
- Serve with fresh veggies or your favorite gluten free chips.
This recipe originally appeared on GlutenFreeGigi.com.
More Like This
Recent Posts by glutenfreegigi
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Food
Tyson Fresh Chicken Reviews
With a little help from Tyson Fresh Chicken, bloggers share their favorite chicken recipes for mealtime with the family. Read their posts and enter for a chance to win a kitchen goods gift basket!