Social Fundraising Strategy: Beyonce, Bacon, Trombones, and Public Humiliation
By Beth Kanter on February 22, 2009
BlogHer Original Post
Holly Ross, Executive Director of NTEN, is using Beyonce, Bacon, Trombones, and Public Humiliation to help raise $10,000 for the Nonprofit Technology Conference scholarship fund.
The Nonprofit Technology Conference is the premier meeting for people who work with nonprofits and handle the technology. Despite the tough economic times, the nonprofit technology community is really excited attending the 2009 NTC and the event promises to be as vibrant as ever.
But not everyone is able to convince their nonprofit organizations to make the
investment in this time of tough choices. So, NTEN has set up a scholarship fund and has been actively fundraising, asking for cash and frequent flyer donations:
- Give to the Scholarship Fund. Thanks to Convio, NTEN will waive the registration fees for up to 57
attendees. Every dollar of your gift will be matched by Convio, up to $10,000.
- Donate Airline Miles. Airfare can be one of the pricer parts of getting to the NTC. If you have airline miles you're willing to share, we'll help you find a scholarship recipient who needs them.
But here is where the fundraising campaign gets interesting or at least where the public humiliation strategy kicks in. NTEN's Executive Director, Holly Ross, says she will let donors vote to decide her fate if the $10,000 goal is reached by February 28th:
- Make her own "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" video. (She won't wear a leotard until they surpass their fundraising goal and bring in $25,000)
- Eat a bacon explosion. It's the pork-phenomenon that's swept the internet. She will eat a whole one.
- Play her college marching band trombone. In Union Square. In Daylight. A bunch of her college friends have already vowed to turn up to mock her.
I've donated frequent flyer miles and, of course, a little cash. I'm voting for the Beyonce video. This is a excellent way to combine some fun with a great cause.
Beth Kanter, BlogHer CEO for Nonprofits, writes Beth's Blog.
Follow BlogHer on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/BlogHer-28615
More Like This
Recent Posts by Beth Kanter
Most Popular on BlogHer
Hearing your baby laugh is the most amazing sound. Discover why baby laughter is so important, your baby’s own Baby Laugh Index™, and much more at www.babylaughindex.com.BlogHer and Bright Starts™ asked 10 bloggers to share what kind of laugh their kids have and to try out one of these fun toys: the Jungle Fun Ball Climber™, the Hide 'n Spin Monkey™, or the 3-in-1 Step 'n Ride Lion™ . Check out their posts and learn how you could win one too! Read more
Most Popular on Career
Recent Comments on Career