Social Networking DO’s & DONT’s
By 24Blogazine on December 17, 2010
We all get invited to events where one’s social skill is an important element, whether it’s a company function, a friend’s birthday party or a networking blogging event. With all these events happening in our lives, do you ever wonder if there’s a proper way of social networking? Here are a few do’s and don’ts for meeting people, whether it’s to build up your site audience, finding a job or meeting new friends:
- Don’t be insincere. Think about how you’d feel if someone was coming up to you and was just doing it to get followers on twitter instead of actually getting to know you.
- Don’t over share. This rule doesn’t apply to your close friends, but when meeting new people don’t share unnecessary information. It will make you look like you’re trying too hard to connect.
- Do share a fun fact about yourself. What is interesting about you and what should people know about you? Think about it and share it.
- Do have your business card with you. When meeting someone new, you want to give them a keepsake that will remind them of you and have all your info laid out - business, twitter, Facebook and email address.
- Do follow up! Use twitter, Facebook and email as a means for keeping in touch. Building relationships is more important than making an initial connection.
I hope these tips will help when you attend a social networking or other event in the near future. You may have already learned these tips in the past, but it never hurts to be reminded. Happy networking!
Follow BlogHer on LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/BlogHer-28615
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Career
Recent Comments on Career