Spaghetti Pesto Alla Genovese
By brijup on August 28, 2013
An authentic Italian recipe for pasta and pesto - with plenty of basil, pine nuts and parmigiano. Pesto pasta is one of the most popular dishes in Liguria, Italy. What you find in many places just isn't the same as what you are going to see here. In my recipe "pesto" really means, what pesto alla genovese should be... and very easy to make at home.
In Italy pesto does'nt necessarily refer to just green basil pesto as the world knows. Instead it refers to almost any mix of herbs that are pounded and put over pasta as a sauce. My recipe calls for fresh basil as main ingredient for Pesto.
Prep time : 20 mins
Cook time : 25 mins
Serves : 4 for main course and 2 for first course
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 100 gms Spaghetti or pasta of your choice
- 3 nos New Potatoes
- 6 to 10 Tender French beans
- Salt - as per taste
- pepper crushed
- 1 tbsp Pine nuts (Optinal)
- To cook pasta/ spaghetti, bring a sauce pan of well salted water and 1 tbsp EVOO to roaring boil then add the pasta/ spaghetti. Cook pasta till done but still frim (al dente), drain well and reserve the water.
- Use reserved water to blanch potates sliced (1" thick sliced) cook for 5 mins. Strain potatoes add add french beans diced into 2'' long drain after 3 mins. Reserve 2 to 3 tbsp of water.
- Heat pan add 2 tbsp EVOO fry nuts and remove.
- Add potatoes and fry till golden brown add french beans, salt fresh crushed pepper saute for min add pasta, toss well.
- Finally add pesto, reserved water and toss well.
6. Transfer on plate and garnish with nuts and drizzle the oil from pan and place under broiler for a min or two.
- Can serve without broiling.
- Potatoes should be new and less starchy.
- Pasta/ Spaghetti should not be over cooked.
- Can use pasta of your choice but it is best to use penne rigate, spaghetti, trenette, linguine.
- Can also use cheaper nuts such as chopped wlanuts / almonds instead of pine nuts.
More Like This
Recent Posts by brijup
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lisa Stone
Most Popular on Food
Marzetti® Simply Dressed® Reviews & Giveaways
Marzetti® Simply Dressed® refrigerated salad dressings complements any salad or meal. Check out our bloggers recipes using these wonderful salad dressings that bring simple, pure flavors to your dishes PLUS get a chance to win a $100.
Recent Comments on Food