Spend Less Save More: Filing Taxes while Unemployed

Taxes when you are unemployed. Well as stated earlier this week when you are receiving unemployment benefits if you receive a check that is income and there for you must file. However you are still eligible for deductions other of course the basics, mortgage, and bank interest and if you are out of work as long as you are looking for work you can deduct your work search expenses.

Expenses included are any search expenses that exceed 2 percent of your adjusted gross income such as work related fees for job search websites, employment agencies, professional organizations and résumé preparation. Travel cost for out of area interviews. Any medical exam required by a potential employer. Clothes and uniforms if not suitable for everyday use. Education is a big one if you are taking a course in your field deduct it any tools and supplies; license fees, subscriptions to journals or trade magazines as well. These are just a few do more research at www.irs.gov or use TurboTax for more details. For more tips and savings visit www.where2save.com


In order to comment on BlogHer.com, you'll need to be logged in. You'll be given the option to log in or create an account when you publish your comment. If you do not log in or create an account, your comment will not be displayed.