Has Your Makeup Expired? When to Stash and When to Trash
By spendlesssavemore on December 30, 2013
Featured Member Post
This is the time of year we are reminded to go through our cabinets and dispose of expired items, from food to medications -- but we tend to forget one thing that most of us use daily: makeup.
So when do you trash and when to do stash your makeup? Here are some general rules:
- Liquid foundation and cream blush and eyeshadow: Up to one year of use. Store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight -- this will keep bacteria from developing.
- Lipstick: One year of use -- if you remember to keep the cap on tightly. Once it dries and cracks, bacteria develops.
- Powdered makeup (face powder, eyeshadow, blushes): Two years' use max. If you find cracks in your powder most of us do we drop them, use a few drops of rubbing alcohol to push the pieces together let dry and your cracks seal.
- Liquid eyeliner and mascara: Three to six months. Clean your liquid eye liner and spoolie mascara wands with a cotton swab to avoid bacteria.
- Pencil eyeliners: Use until gone , but do remember to sharpen before putting away and cap to avoid bacteria.
In all cases, when applying makeup while ill, use disposable applicators to avoid bacteria spread, and if something looks, smells, or just feels off -- throw it out.
More Like This
Recent Posts by spendlesssavemore
Most Popular on BlogHer
In the U.S., women have family planning services that are safe and affordable, but across the globe, it is a different story. EngenderHealth's WTFP?! (Where’s the Family Planning) campaign is supported by our bloggers. Read their personal stories and thoughts on family planning. Read more