Spicy Tomato Bites with Fresh Broccoli Sprouts and Shitake 'Bacon'
One year ago we survived hurricane Sandy and I was enjoying my 1st Virtual Vegan Potluck with this:
Love Broccoli Spouts. Find out how to grow some in your kitchen. HERE
This summer I attended a Vegan cooking class in the city. The first recipe we cooked up that night were little BLT tomatoes full of that wonderful 'bacony' flavor mixed with a spicy mayo and the sweet of the tomato. I've made some changes to make them my own but the concept is pretty much the same: Making a Vegan BLT inside your cherry tomatoes!
- For the Marinated Mushroom 'Bacon':
- 1 cup dehydrated Shitake Mushrooms
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp tamari soy sauce
- Hot Sauce Mayo:
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Mayo
- 1 tsp Hot Sauce like Sriracha
- For the Bites:
- 7 - 8 Campari Tomatoes, top off
- 1/2 cup Broccoli Sprouts (or other greens)
- 15 pieces of Marinated Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Hot Mayo
- Stir together the Mushroom marinade and pour over the dried Shitakes. Allow the mushrooms to marinate for 1 hour. Pour off the extra juice and set aside.
- Remove the green tops from each tomato and scoop out and discard the soft inside of each. Make a tiny slice off of each tomato bottom to allow them to sit more firmly upright. Fill each tomato with a big pinch of broccoli sprouts.
- In a small sauce pan, saute the mushrooms over medium heat until slightly carmalized, about 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove mushrooms from heat, allow to cool and then top each tomato with a few strips of mushroom. Drizzle a few drops of hot sauce mayo over each. Serve at room temperature.
- Note: In the cooking class, we baked the tomatoes for 10 minutes at 350 and then drizzled the mayo and hot sauce on. I prefer to keep them cold so its your choice. The class also used chopped spinach in place of sprouts so there's that option as well. Either way, they'll be Really good! Enjoy.
The Mayo that I used came from this recipe: HERE but any plain Vegan Mayo mixed with any hot sauce will do. Make them your own.
Just a perfect little party bite...no napkin required.
The sweeter the toms you can find the better.
Eat more sprouts. Safe weekend to you ♥
Angela @ Canned-Time.com