Spicy Tuna Pizza
By ANK15 on June 18, 2013
Inspiration for this recipe comes from Sushi Guru, a restaurant here in Charlotte that we love going to. With the combination of two of my favorite foods, pizza and sushi, I knew I had to try this appetizer as soon as I saw it on the menu. You have the choice of adding Ahi tuna or smoked salmon to the pizza and we always steer towards the tuna. I find this to be such a unique concept to pizza and yet it works so well.
While enjoying a late afternoon cocktail on the porch with my husband I decided I wanted to try recreating this pizza at home, which turned out to be the perfect accompaniment to a glass of wine and our outdoor patio on a summer night. Each layer is filled with a different taste and texture that makes this pizza so incredibly delicious. On top of the toasted pita start by spreading spicy mayonnaise as a base then pile on the seared tuna slices. Top with cooked onions and jalapeno slices and finish with a drizzle of good balsamic vinegar for a touch of sweetness. Serving is enough for one person as a main meal or two shared as an appetizer.
Spicy Tuna Pizza
(Serves 1 individual size pizza or 2 people as an appetizer)
- 1/2 pound sashimi grade tuna
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- Jalapeno Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- Good Balsamic vinegar to drizzle
- Add olive oil to a skillet and Sauté the onion slices
- Place the sesame seeds in a shallow dish, rolling the tuna over seeds to coat.
- Add olive oil to skillet, allowing it to become hot, then add tuna to pan along with the soy sauce. Sear the tuna for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and thinly slice the tuna.
- Combine the mayonnaise and Sriracha. Spread evenly over top the toasted pita bread. Add the tuna slices and top with the cooked onion and jalapeno slices.
- Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over top. Serve immediately
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
Sparkling ICE is a bold flavored sparkling water that truly delivers on taste and contains just the right amount of fizz. Read our bloggers' posts and get more details on how you can enter the Flavor Face Off plus find out more about the delicious flavors that Sparkling ICE has to offer. Read more