Storyboarding - Resources and Vlogging Assistance
Thank you to all the good people that stopped by the Multimedia Lab and those that wanted to attended.Thanks also to Kraft Foods for sponsoring the lab.
I'm suffering from a bad case of hindsight. There was so much we all wanted to share but were under time constrictions. Also folks at the session asked about additional resources. I t love digging up help and support resources for potential vloggers and anybody with access to a camera or camcorder.
Why A Storyboard?
If you are just talking at the camcorder don't need a storyboard. However, if you are telling a story with images and video or it is more complicated than a point and shoot video a storyboard can help you pre-visualize you video. It can help you save time and frustration.
Storyboarding can help to take the fear out of editing your video. You can reduce or eliminate "creator's block".
At the lab I used paper 3x5 cards. They are cheap, come in pretty colors and most important allow you one scene per card. You can change the scene order and experiment with different versions of your video.
Another resource is the paper storyboarding sheet. There are all kinds, find the one that fits your learning style. Here are a few samples to check out:
- Hal Davidson's Storyboard - http://www.halldavidson.net/Storybd.pdf
- My Storyboard http://www.olejarz.com/arted/digitalvideo/MyStoryboard.pdf
Now I know some of you haven't touched a pencil in ten years. I respect most modes of communication so for you digital ladies and gentlemen check out:
- My Idea Map is a free online 3x5 card service, it is not as flexible as paper but it will do the job. http://www.myideamap.com
- Atomic Learning Storyboard Program - Free and available for Mac and PC users http://www.atomiclearning.com/storyboardpro
- Freevlog http://freevlog.org
- OurMedia.org Personal Media Learning Center http://www.ourmedia.org/learning-center
- VideoBlogging Group Wiki http://videoblogginggroup.pbwiki.com/
- BlipTV Learning Center http://learningcenter.blip.tv
If you are interested in creating videos or videoblogging these are good starting places to visit:
If you want to know more or have questions drop it in the comment box and I'll try to find the answers that make sense.