Super Bowl Peanut Butter Puppy Chow
By jamielavarnway on January 30, 2014
One of the most obvious categories that is lacking in my Recipe Box is the snacks section. I don't usually post too many recipes in that category because my daily snacks are pretty boring. A sliced apple, various handfuls of whatever I have in the kitchen... nothing post worthy. Since Super Bowl Sunday is the king of snacking days, I knew I had to step up my game and have a really good bowl of munchies around the television. I already have chili and cornbread on the menu, so I thought it would be best to pick something on the sweet side to snack on throughout the game.
If you've never heard of puppy chow, or muddy buddies, you may have been thinking this whole post was about dog food! Not to worry, puppy chow is a classic recipe for corn chex dipped in any number of sweet goodies. Traditionally it is a blend of dark chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. I thought I would mix it up by using white chocolate instead of dark chocolate. It lightens up the recipe (mostly in way it feels on your palate) and prevents chocolate smudge from becoming part of your couch pattern. I also make my puppy chow with less than half of the powdered sugar than most other recipes, so in that regard it actually is a bit lighter in calories! If there is one thing I hate, it's snacking on something and having goop all over your hands as a result. With this recipe the pieces are just slightly coated in powdered sugar; I even go so far as to use a strainer to remove the excess. What you are left with is melt in your mouth, creamy, sweet, and addicting-delicious snack food. You can add orange and blue M&Ms as I have so that we are all rooting for the right team this Sunday. :-)
Peanut Butter Puppy Chow
Recipe Type: Snacks
Author: Cooking in Red Socks
Prep time: 20 mins
Total time: 20 mins
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 3 tbs butter
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 6-7 cups chex rice cereal
- roughly 1 cup orange and blue M&Ms or peanut M&Ms
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar
- Heat the white chocolate, butter, and peanut butter in a double boiler over medium heat. I prefer to melt white chocolate this way, compared to the microwave, because it burns so easily. Heat for roughly 5 minutes, or until the mixture is melted and smooth. Stir continuously to distribute the heat. Add the vanilla and salt and remove from the heat.
- Add 5 cups of the chex squares to the bowl and gently fold the mixture together. I scrape from the bottom alongside the edges of the bowl in order to keep most of the chex squares whole. Mix until the squares are evenly coated.
- Put the peanut butter covered squares, the remaining chex, the M&Ms, and 1 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar in a large ziplock bag. Gently shake to mix everything together. Pour the mixture over a strainer and strain the excess powdered sugar before serving.
- You can keep the puppy chow in a ziplock and frozen for up to two weeks.
Please Note: no green M&Ms were harmed during this photo shoot. However, they will not be making an appearance at my Super Bowl party.
More Like This
Recent Posts by jamielavarnway
Most Popular on BlogHer
All October, you can help support breast cancer awareness by rounding up your JCPenney purchases to the nearest dollar. Contributions will be donated to JCPenney Cares to directly fund programs supporting breast cancer awareness, including The Breast Cancer Research Foundation® and The National Breast Cancer Foundation®. Read more