Sweet Almond Milk
By Nummy For My Tummy on April 28, 2014
I love nuts (that's what she said) especially ALMONDS! With 1 cup of raw almonds I can make over 2 cups of almond milk and enough almond meal to bread 2lbs of chicken breast. A little goes a long way.
If you read labels you'll see that most almond milk found at the store contains tons of ingredients that I don't even want to research. Almond milk should be almonds and water, none of that refined cane sugar, guar gum or cargeenan stuff...sorry Blue Diamond.
Ok, some readers might think that an almond milk recipe is super basic, but there are some that think it's much harder than it is. For those that think it's nearly impossible to make, if I can do it YOU can do it!
- 1c. raw almonds
- 3c. filtered water
- 3 dates, pitted (optional for sweetness)
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1 large mason jar that holds 3 cups
- large bowl
- Place 1c. raw almonds (and dates) in large mason jar (or other air tight container) fill with water and let the almonds soak for 24hrs (at least 8 hours if you can't wait)
- Strain the almonds (and dates) and place into a blender
- Add 4c. filtered water to the almonds and blend until almonds are broken into tiny bits
- Place colander into bowl and line the colander with cheesecloth
- Slowly pour milk into the cheesecloth lined colander allowing the milk to separate from the meal
- Wrap up the excess meal with the cheesecloth and squeeze out any additional liquid
- Transfer milk back into the large mason jar and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days
More Like This
Recent Posts by Nummy For My Tummy
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Lori Luna
Sparkling ICE is a bold flavored sparkling water that truly delivers on taste and contains just the right amount of fizz. Read our bloggers' posts and get more details on how you can enter the Flavor Face Off plus find out more about the delicious flavors that Sparkling ICE has to offer. Read more