By SanPasqual'sKitchen on April 15, 2012
Featured Member Post
This is the dish my kids request the most when they come home or I go and visit them. Turkey Taquitos is as much looked forward to as Thanksgiving dinner. You can make this from leftover roast chicken, rotisserie chicken, leftover turkey or from boiled chicken. In this recipe, I use leftover turkey. To accompany the taquitos, I make Salsa Serrano.
My son asked specifically that I post my recipe for Taquitos. This is the dish my kids request the most when they come home or I go and visit them. Turkey Taquitos, which I make every year with our leftover Thanksgiving turkey, is as much looked forward to as Thanksgiving dinner. You can make this from leftover roast chicken, rotisserie chicken, leftover turkey or from boiled chicken. As a matter of fact, you can make this with leftover pork or beef as well. In this recipe, I use leftover turkey. To accompany the taquitos, I make Salsa Serrano.
6 cups leftover turkey (smashed)
36 corn tortillas (I used Banderita)
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
Mix the spices with the leftover turkey and smash. My husband always does this task for me.
Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 3 minutes on high. If they tear while you are rolling the taquito, they need another minute or so.
Fill the tortilla with turkey, roll up and secure with a toothpick.
Heat about an inch of oil in a 8" skillet to a medium heat. You want a good sizzle when it is placed in the oil. Fry until golden brown. Place on paper towels.
1 lg tomato
1 med. onion
2 Serrano peppers
1 bunch of cilantro
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream
To make the salsa, wash the vegetables and cilantro. Peel the onion and halve it, then boil the tomato, onion and Serranos until tender about 5 minutes. Remove peel from the tomato and core. Place all the ingredients in the blender, except the sour cream, with about a 1/4 cup of the water used for boiling. Blend thoroughly. It will be quite hot. Mix in the sour cream.
I hope you enjoy this as much as my kids!
Taquitos with Salsa Serrano
Recipe Type: Main
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Crowd pleasing, kid friendly and an everyone will love you kind of recipe.
- FOR THE TAQUITOS:
- 6 cups Cooked Turkey Or Chicken, Diced Or Shredded, Leftover Are Great
- ¼ teaspoons Onion Powder
- ¼ teaspoons Paprika
- ¼ teaspoons Cumin
- ¼ teaspoons Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 36 Corn Tortillas
- Cooking Oil, Enough To Fill The Bottom Of Your Pot By 1 Inch
- FOR THE SALSA SERRANO:
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1 whole Large Tomato
- 2 whole Serrano Peppers
- 1 whole Onion, Medium, Halved
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cups Sour Cream
- For the taquitos:
- In a large bowl mix the spices with the leftover turkey or chicken and smash everything together.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 3 minutes on high. If they seem like they want to tear while you are rolling the taquito, they need another minute or so.
- Put a few tortillas on a work surface. Fill each tortilla with smashed turkey or chicken, roll it up, and secure it closed with a toothpick. Repeat with all of the tortillas and filling.
- Heat about an inch of oil in an 8″ skillet to a medium heat. You want a good sizzle when the taquito is placed in the oil. You can put a small piece of tortilla in there to test it and make sure it’s sizzling. Put some of the taquitos into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown turning once. Place on paper towels while you repeat the frying process with remaining taquitos.
- For the salsa:
- Put a pot of water onto the heat and bring to a boil (should be enough water in there to cover the tomato, peppers and onion). Wash the vegtables and cilantro. Peel the onion and halve it. Then boil the tomato, onion and serranos until tender, about 5 minutes. Take vegetables out of the water reserving the water to add into the sauce.
- When cool enough to handle, remove the peel from the tomato and core it. Place all of the salsa ingredients in the blender, except the sour cream, with about a 1/4 cup of the water used for boiling. Blend thouroghly. It will be quite hot so be careful. Let mixture cool to about room temperature and mix in the sour cream.
- Serve taquitos with salsa for dipping!
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Lean Cuisine believes that women should be valued for their accomplishments as opposed to their weight/appearance. Lean Cuisine's new brand campaign Feed Your PhenomenalTM reflects its new brand purpose: to feed the greatness in every woman. Check out our bloggers' posts and see how they measure their true worth plus learn how you could win a $100. Read more