Tasty Tuesday – Red Wine Sangria
By mym0mmybrain on July 23, 2014
Right before we moved out of state, a good friend invited us over for an amazing Spanish-inspired dinner. He loves to cook and outdid himself this night serving tapas with chorizo, Serrano ham, Manchego cheese, olives and a huge pot of Paella.
I happened to mention to him that I wasn't a fan of Sangria and he was shocked! He said he had the best Sangria recipe and he would make a batch just for me.
A couple days later he dropped by our house with a large bottle of his special home brew and insisted I try it.
I took a tiny sip, expecting to hate it like every other kind of Sangria I've tasted.
It was delicious! Light and fruity, a little on the sweet side, and not bitter at all. He looked at me with a big smile and said, "See, I told you so!!"
After some persuasion on my part, I finally got him to allow me to share his recipe, although I made a few changes here and there to tailor it to my tastes.
Red Wine Sangria
Author: Kate Kelly - My Mommy Brain
- 1 750 ml bottle of dry red wine (Syrah, Chianti, Sangiovese, or you can use a white wine like a Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc or Albarino)
- 1 orange, cut into wedges (remove any seeds)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (remove any seeds)
- 1 small can of diced pineapples (with juice)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup Welch’s 100% Juice White Grape Cherry mix
- 4 oz brandy
- 3 oz of Cointreau or triple sec
- 1 cup strawberries (fresh is best, but frozen will work)
- 1 cup pitted cherries (I love Rainier cherries)
- 1 cup frozen grapes
- 4 cups ginger ale (or substitute a brut champagne if you like it less sweet)
- Pour the bottle of wine into a large pitcher and toss in the fruit wedges and pineapple with juice, then add the sugar, grape juice, brandy and triple sec.
- Chill at least overnight; sangria is best when chilled for 24 hours to allow the flavors to really meld.
- Just before serving add the strawberries, grapes, cherries, and ginger ale. (Feel free to substitute with other fruit, like apples, lemons, peaches… whatever you are in the mood for.)
- Drink and enjoy!
More Like This
Recent Posts by mym0mmybrain