A Thanksgiving Potluck to Remember
Earlier this week, I had the honor of taking part in a pre-Thanksgiving potluck with some of the finest food bloggers in Southern California. In lieu of the Shiksa Picks this week, I thought I’d share some pictures and recipes from the potluck.
The event was organized by Patti Londre of Worth the Whisk. Patti is co-founder of the Food Bloggers of Los Angeles, an IACP Award of Excellence Winner, and producer of the popular event Camp Blogaway. When Patti is involved, you know that it’s going to be quite a shindig. And that it was!
Greg from Sippity Sup takes a picture of our T-day table. That's Patti, our fearless leader, in blue and Dorothy from Shockingly Delicious in maroon.
The event featured some amazing culinary talent, including:
…and yours truly.
Denise Vivaldo, one of our country’s top food stylists and a renowned chef, was on hand to cook a fabulous turkey and style our gorgeous tables. Our friend Rene Lynch from the Los Angeles Times was also there to join in the fun.
Update: Our feast was featured in the LA Times! Click here to read the article!
I was given the task of creating an appetizer for the meal. The appetizer needed to reflect my blog’s focus, while also bringing in the delicious flavors of the Thanksgiving season. I decided to serve my Crispy Yukon Gold Latkes with a Harvest Fruit Puree.
I chose the latkes because they make a great appetizer; they are bite-sized and super tasty. While I usually serve latkes with applesauce, I thought it would be fun to create a seasonal fruit puree that brought in some Thanksgiving colors and flavors. The saltiness of the latkes and the refreshing sweetness of the fruit puree is a winning combination. I posted both recipes this week, here are the links:
Here is a complete list of the dishes that were featured at the potluck. I will link to the recipes here as they’re posted online. Keep in mind that this was not a kosher event, so the recipes are not necessarily kosher (my recipes are, as always). It was a wonderful feast, and I was thrilled to be a part of it!
THANKSGIVING POTLUCK MENU
1. APPETIZER: Crispy Yukon Gold Latkes with Harvest Fruit Puree by Tori Avey, The Shiksa in the Kitchen. Culinary anthropologist specializing in Jewish food history, media spokesperson, recipe contributor to Zabars.com, featured on PBS Food, BonAppetit.com, Martha Stewart Radio, and CNN.com Eatocracy
2. TURKEY: The Perfect Turkey and Sugared Fruit by Denise Vivaldo, Food Fanatics Unwashed. Chef, caterer, food stylist, award-winning author of 7 books: The Food Stylist’s Handbook – named a World’s Best in the 2011 Paris Gourmand Cookbook Awards and The Entertaining Encyclopedia won Cordon de Oro award, IACP Award of Excellence Winner, two time outstanding culinary teacher award from UCLA Extension, CCA graduate hall of fame nominee
3. SALAD: Crab, Avocado, Pomegranate Salad in Crisp Endive Leaves topped with Creamy Tangy Pomegranate Dressing and Lemon Zest by Rachael Hutchings, La Fuji Mama. Co-author of Peko Peko charity cookbook for Japan relief, Saveur Sites We Love honoree, OC Fair culinary judge
4. POTATO: Garlic and Herb Potato Gratin by Dorothy Reinhold, Shockingly Delicious. Writer, recipe developer, published in Sunset Magazine, Taste of Home, 26 pie competition 1st place ribbons, 2011 Saveur Sites We Love honoree, newspaper veteran
5. SIDE: Caramelized Chestnuts and Brussels Sprouts in a Buttery Cider Vinegar Braise by Greg Henry, Sippity Sup. Podcaster at The Table Set, featured in January 2011 Food & Wine, Saveur Sites We Love honoree, participant in the Nudie Foodies cookbook, popular presenter at blogger conferences
6. SIDE: Spiced Roasted Root Vegetables by Cheryl D Lee, Black Girl Chefs Whites. Chef instructor, caterer, food stylist, former Assistant Test Kitchen Director for Woman’s World Magazine
7. BREAD: Caramelized Shallot and Herb Foccacia by Louise Mellor, Geez Louise. Chef, caterer, food stylist, media spokesperson, OC Fair Culinary coordinator, Saveur Sites We Love honoree, featured in June 2010 Fine Cooking
8. DESSERT: Kahlúa Sweet Potato Pie with Kahlua Whipped Cream by Patti Londre, Worth The Whisk. Thanksgiving Blogger Potluck Project Manager, home economist, co-founder of Food Bloggers LA (FBLA), IACP Award of Excellence Winner, Saveur Sites We Love honoree, producer of Camp Blogaway Food Blogger Bootcamp
The Shiksa in the Kitchen