Things We Say To Our Kids That Makes No Sense To Them
By imnotasupermom on February 22, 2012
Featured Member Post
When we are right in the thick of the parenting trenches we often say things out of desperation that makes absolutely no sense to our kids. The confused look on their faces says it all, but we all do it.
Do any of these sound familiar?
- Said to a baby or young child who won’t go to sleep: “Do you have any idea how tired I am?!”
- Often said in the heat of the moment: “If you don’t stop crying, I’m going to give you something to cry about!”
- Said to a child with separation anxieties. I have said this myself more than once: “Trust me honey, there is no back door in the bathroom. I have to come out the same way I went in.”
- Said usually before some type of punishment: “This is going to hurt me more than it is going to hurt you.”
- Said in an attempt to justify your decision that your child does not like: “Because it is for your own good.”
- Said to a child who is learning to wipe himself: “You don’t need all that! Only a third of that will do!” (My husband caught me saying that to our son -- like a 3 year old knows what a third is)
- Said with a nervous smile: “I know what I said, but you cannot tell Grandma that I said her hamburgers tasted like hockey pucks.”
- Said to an adolescent wanting to do everything her friends do: “And if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it, too?”
- And the favorite one is…..drum roll please… ”Because I said so!”
You can read more stories like this at I Am Not A Supermom
Mom Stories, Health & Wellness Tips, Money Savin
Photo Credit: cindyfunk.
More Like This
Recent Posts by imnotasupermom
Most Popular on BlogHer
In the U.S., women have family planning services that are safe and affordable, but across the globe, it is a different story. EngenderHealth's WTFP?! (Where’s the Family Planning) campaign is supported by our bloggers. Read their personal stories and thoughts on family planning. Read more
Most Popular on Family
Coffee-Mate® Girl Scout® Cookie Creamers
Bloggers share life hacks they learned during their Girl Scout days. We also found out that with the new Coffee-Mate® Girl Scout® Cookie creamers, we can now enjoy the delightful cookie taste all year round. Read their posts for a chance to win $100!