Tips For Eating A Healthy Diet at BlogHer '10
By Catherine Morgan on August 04, 2010
BlogHer Original Post
Are you going to BlogHer '10 in New York? Will you be trying to stick to a healthy diet while you're there? Sadly, I won't be able to make it to BlogHer this year. But if you're lucky enough to be attending, you might be wondering if it's possible to stick to a healthy diet while you're in New York. If so, here are some quick tips for making healthy food choices on-the-go and at BlogHer '10.
The first thing to think about is how you'll be getting to your destination, and what type of food choices you will be presented with.
If you'll be flying...
Avoid buying food at the airport, and instead bring several healthy snacks. Here are some ideas...
- Fresh fruits (apples, bananas, grapes, cherries).
- Fresh vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots) with low calorie, low fat dip.
- Almonds, walnuts, peanuts, soy nuts or sunflower seeds.
- Sandwiches made with low-fat lunch meats on whole grain bread.
- String cheese.
- Trail mix, raisins, dried fruits.
- Low or non-fat yogurt.
- Homemade low-fat muffins with fax seed.
- Water (no soda).
If you'll be driving...
First, bring healthy snacks (like the ones above) so the need to stop for fast food is minimized.
Second, be prepared to make healthy choices when the need arises for you to stop for fast food. Although the majority of food at these places are horribly bad for human consumption, many of them have added a few healthier choices (usually much lower in fat and calories) to their menus. You can check the nutritional value of fast foods by using simple online tools like The Fast Food Explorer.
My favorite fast food place (with low calorie choices) is Taco Bell, which also happens to be the home of the nacho cheese chalupa (370 calories and 23 grams of fat), but I try very hard not to be tempted and instead order the Fresco Ranchero Chicken Soft Taco (170 calories 4 grams of fat).
Once you've arrived at your destination...
Here are some tips for making healthy food choices once you get to BlogHer...
- Say "no" to the warm bread and rolls on the table. If you can't live without the bread, choose a whole grain and eat it with little or no butter.
- Choose baked or grilled over fried foods.
- Always drink water rather than soda.
- Don't overdo your alcohol consumption.
- Use mustard rather than mayonnaise.
- Watch out for high fat salad dressings, instead choose low fat salad dressings and ask for them on the side. I always ask for some lemon wedges with my salad in addition to getting lite dressing on the side, using the lemon helps me cut down on the amount of dressing I have to use.
- Ask for extra vegetables with your meal in place of fries or a baked potato.
- Avoid sugary desserts,and instead choose fresh fruits.
Even though I'm recommending ways for you to stick to a healthy diet plan and make healthy food choices while you are at the BlogHer conference, I also think it's perfectly okay to give yourself permission to take a break from healthy eating for a few days and just enjoy yourself.
What will you do? Are you going to BlogHer '10? Will you concern yourself with eating healthy while there? Do you have any tips for others attending the conference?
What ever you decide to do I hope you have a great time.
Contributing Editor Catherine Morgan
Also at Catherine-Morgan.com
More Like This
Recent Posts by Catherine Morgan
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Health
Recent Comments on Health