Tofu Pad Thai With Sunflower Seeds (Peanut Free!) ... The Recipe
The key to this recipe is having lots of plates & bowls handy and prepping all of the ingredients ahead of time. Really once you've got everything prepped the "cooking" takes less than 10 minutes. Your work station should look like this...
What you need...
6 oz. dried rice noodles
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
10 oz. firm tofu (drained & crumbled)
3 eggs (beat em up)
1/2 cup of 1/2" pieces scallion (the white/light green part only)
3 red chili peppers chopped
2 Tbsp garlic chopped
1/4 cup vegetarian mushroom sauce (buy at your asian market)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup bean sprouts (the big white ones)
1/2 cup (or more) roasted, salted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (like you put on pizza)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
What you do...
1. Soak the noodles in hot water about 30 minutes. Drain/cover. Set aside.
2. Mix cornstarch with sesame oil (add extra sesame oil if you want). Pour over crumbled tofu and stir it up to coat.
3. Put scallions, fresh red chili peppers & garlic on a dish
4. In another bowl stir together mushroom sauce, lemon juice & sugar
5. On a plate assemble bean sprouts through black pepper in nice little piles (you'll add these to the stir fry one-by-one in the order listed)
6. Heat 2 Tbsp canola oil over med/med-high heat til very hot (but not smoking) stir then quickly...
7. pour the egg mixture in while stirring until the eggs have set (this part is really fun)
8. Set eggs aside, reheat wok over high heat & once hot pour in 4Tbsp canola oil
9. Add scallion/pepper/garlic mix and stir until garlic just browns
10. Quickly add tofu and continue stirring about 2 minutes
11. Quickly add noodles and stir until they're coated
12. Add the mushroom sauce mixture, stir
13. Add the eggs back in, stir
14. Add the remaining plateful of sprouts-through-pepper one at a time, stirring all the while
15. Serve piping hot
16. Make someone else do the huge pile of dishes
(supposedly that's Thai for bon appétit!)
This was originally posted on my personal blog at the following link. Thanks! http://tidbitsparenting.blogspot.com/2011/03/tofu-pad-thai-w-sunflower-seeds-peanut.html