Tomato Biryani and Cucumber Raita
By sv45000 on April 12, 2012
Today I am blogging about a great one pot meal which is perfect as a lunchbox recipe or a lazy afternoon meal and the great thing is its easy to put together with very few ingredients in pretty less amount of time.
Basmati Rice – 2 cups
Water – 2 3/4 cups
Tomatoes – 4 (cut into thin slices)
Onion – 1 ( thinly sliced)
Green chillies – 4 ( slit length wise, can adjust according to the spice level)
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1tsp
Cloves, Cardamom, Cinnamon – 2 each
Coriander Leaves – 1 stalk
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rice for 30mts.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker ( I have a small cooker which is perfect for small amount of biryani). Add the 3 whole spices.
- Then add the onions and sauté them until translucent. Then goes ginger garlic paste, green chillies.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about 4 minutes till they are mushy.
- Add the coriander leaves, water and bring to a boil. Add the rice , salt and cook until 3 whistles.
- Let the pressure release and serve with any raita of your choice. I have served it with cucumber raita and below is the recipe for it.
This is one of the easiest and fast raita recipes which goes perfectly with biryani or chapathi.
Cucumbers – 3 (Peeled and grated)
Green chillies – 3 ( cut into small pieces)
Yogurt – 1 cup
Mustard Seeds – 1tsp
Hing – a pinch
- Remove excess water from the grated cucumbers.
- Add yogurt, salt, green chillies and mix well.
- Heat oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds, hing and when the mustard seeds splutters remove and add to cucumber mixture.
- Serve with biryani or chapathi.