15 Food Blogger Trends of 2012 That Need to Go
By MouthFromTheSouth on December 27, 2012
BlogHer Original Post
As January approaches, it's a time for new beginnings, new journeys and changes in our lives. It's also the time to take stock of the previous year and jettison the old, the mundane, the things that are holding us back or that clog up our lives. And you know what? As food bloggers, we can apply this valuable process to our own blogs.
What? What's that, you say? You think your food blog is perfect and lovely so you can't think of anything to get rid of? Gentle food bloggers, I am here to help and guide you through this process. Many other food bloggers or people that just like to read food blogs (they do exist!) have, in their infinite wisdom, decided to weigh in as well. There are many ways I'd love to guide you into a fresh, clean start for 2013, but let me start simply.
The 2012 Food Blogger Trends That Need To Go Away. Immediately.
1) Multicolored baker's twine: This is a menace that must be stopped before it consumes us all. Besides the fact that it has zombie properties and can never be killed...your pile of cookies? Adorable. All stacked up and tied up with peppermint striped baker's twine? Congratulations. You now have a picture that looks like every other cookie picture repinned on Pinterest.
2) Cake mix addiction: This is not snobbery. I willingly admit I have Velveeta in my fridge. What most of us take issue with is the recipes that tout how easy they are to make because you just use a cake mix. Reading on, you discover you must add 20 other ingredients that will keep your finished product from tasting like cake mix. Would it have killed you to just use flour, sugar, and baking powder?
3) Cake pops: I know, I know. Some of you simply adore them and would serve them at every meal if you could. But there are a lot of you out there who are convinced they're the kind of evil that could only come from the Dark Side. Baby shower cake pops have brought many women to tears and broken them forever. A friend of mine that says, "Oh my gosh!" called me for advice when her cake pops wouldn't work and unleashed profanities that I had never even heard of. Cake pops' cuteness hides the fact that they are actually one of the plagues mentioned in the Bible. And speaking of adorable...
4) Adding props to your pictures: The advice that I and many others give you is motivated by our concern for your mental health and personal safety. Please back away from your personal prop closet. There are food stylists out there that I admire and wish I had their talent. But since you're a food blogger, let me reiterate that most of us really just want to see the food. The perfect colored napkins, the ribbons, the 867 different varieties of cupcake wrappers, the miniature glass milk bottles, the precious paper stripey straws, the perfect piece of pottery that you had handmade to best showcase your "Lentil Soup Delight" recipes, the bail-top jars, the single piece but strategically arranged brown kraft paper, that perfect rustic wood that you made look like a tablelet us give you some advice: If you see the styling you want to do all over Pinterest, try something else. Food can look stunning on a white plate. Plus, all of your props have to be stored in your "prop closet," and we worry that since it is so heavy, it might tip over on you, leaving you injured and trapped for hours. Also, that 248-mile antiquing quest for the perfect platter? Breathe deeply, stay calm & let it go.
5) Promoting your blog: Another gentle suggestion from a friend that is not a blogger but loves reading our food blogs: please stop tweeting your blog post over and over again. Sing it with me now"Once, twice, three times is maybe". She would lovingly like you to know that if you constantly shill your blog multiple times a day she will unfollow you on Twitter. She will unlike your Facebook page. She will quit looking at your blog. This whole conversation with her was followed with a "Bless their hearts," so she's serious about this.
More Like This
Recent Posts by MouthFromTheSouth
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Melissa Ford
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Food
Green & Black's Organic Chocolate Reviews & Sweepstakes
We placed Green & Black’s Organic Chocolate to the test! Check out these delicious chocolate recipes and recreate them using exceptional, fairtrade ingredients. Plus get a chance to win $100 cash equivalent and a chocolate prize pack.