Top 10 Things I Learned at Last Year's BlogHer Conference
By Janie Emaus on July 21, 2014
Featured Member Post
10. For several days following the conference you will amble around BlogHerized. Definition: The mind-boggling state of sorting through the Who, Where, Why and When of What you experienced at the conference.
9. Some bloggers will look exactly like their online photos. Others will look like older versions of themselves. Some may even resemble the foods, flowers, or fetishes they blog about.
8. The words “free” and “food” do not always go well together in a sentence or in one’s digestive system.
7. Speaking of free: All that SWAG could cost almost $100.00 to take home. Note: I hope that nice TSA gentleman with the friendly smile got lucky with his wife for bringing her a bottle of Windex and some Trojan lubricant.
6. During keynote speaker presentations some people will snicker under their breath, while others will find themselves crying. Which only goes to demonstrate the subjectivity of the entire business of blogging. You can’t to appeal to everyone.
5. It’s dangerous to carry a Voices of The Year poster through the hall, up the elevator, and across the lobby. This behavior can only be performed with “real live” friends. Beware: A lasting bound will most definitely be formed.
4. “What’s your Twitter handle?” is to bloggers as “What’s your sign” is to strangers meeting in a bar. Sometimes neither of them make much sense.
3.Sharing a bathroom with an online friend will turn them into someone you hope you get to see again soon.
2. 99.5% of bloggers want to write a book. My advice: Do it. But grow a thick skin. And nurture your patient side. There is no such thing as Instant Gratification in the world of publishing.
And the number one thing I learned is:
You are not your blog. You are not your ranking. Or your SEO. But one woman writing. Writing something you want the world to hear. And if you can give someone an “aha” moment, get them to realize they are not alone, or make them laugh, then you’ve done your job as a blogger.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Janie Emaus
Most Popular on BlogHer
February 17, 2015 - 12:41pm by Lori Luna
February 13, 2015 - 12:31pm by JennaHatfield
January 27, 2015 - 2:37pm by JennaHatfield
January 12, 2015 - 8:29am by Elisa Camahort
January 5, 2015 - 9:17am by Elisa Camahort
Recent Comments on Conferences
By Rita Arens