Tried and True Beauty Secrets
By LindsayRoberts on November 18, 2012
BlogHer Original Post
One thing I have struggled with for as long as I can remember is perfection. As a girl, I believe this to be an easy trap to fall into. On a daily basis, we are bombarded with fashion magazines that model flawless super models that are stick thin, have gorgeous complexions, and beautiful hair. This is the norm right?
Rather than embracing our individuality, we are picking apart things that make us different and seeing them as flaws. We are being sold to believe that this picturesque idea of beauty is the norm and in turn, our self esteem suffers.
With age though, I am learning to embrace the very things that make me unique. I think it wasn't until I became comfortable in my own skin, (motherhood will do that to you) that I learned how to play up my attributes and flaws both. I think all through my adolescence, I was so busy trying to create beauty, that I missed it staring right back at me in the mirror.
And while I am a firm believer that true beauty comes from within, I also believe they don't call them beauty "secrets" for nothing. Here's what works for me, and has helped me al0ng on my own personal beauty transformation.
1. A good skin care regime. Treating your skin well is a very good thing. A good eye cream can save your life.
2. Moisturize. Moisturize. Moisturize.
3. A date with your hair stylist. I have naturally mousy blonde hair, so every 8 weeks I'm getting blonde highlights put in.
4. Bronzer. It adds definition to your face and makes you look alive. It also helps with those pasty winter skin tones.
5. Teeth whitening strips. I swear by these things.
6. Eyebrow waxes. Its amazing how well shaped eyebrows can give you an instant face lift.
7. A mani/pedi always makes me feel "put together".
8. Lipstick. Not until recently have I begun even wearing lip color at all. I love how it instantly glam's up any look.
9. Wear SPF when out in the sun and always protect your face.
10. Know your personal style. Experiment. Look at old photos and see what works for you, and what doesn't work. I have really seen a transformation in my own personal style within the last year. I've also made a few notable beauty tweaks that truly have made worlds of difference in my opinion.
LeeLaLa is on:
More Like This
Recent Posts by LindsayRoberts
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Fashion & Beauty
Recent Comments on Fashion & Beauty