Turkey and Rice Soup
By annabkelley on January 06, 2014
I was definitely surprised at how easy it was to make this soup! I started with the bones from the left-over turkey breast I had saved. I think making the broth from scratch is what makes this soup so flavorful! The recipe below includes the amount of spices I used, but they may need to be adjusted depending on how big a pot of soup you make.
I'm always in the mood for a good bowl of soup when it's cold outside. Here's a view from our front porch a few days ago. The frost was so beautiful I just had to take a picture of the frosty Missouri morning. :)
This soup is so simple yet so flavorful :)
I actually had to pause for a bowl while I was writing this post. ..mmmmm...
The bones from the turkey breast still had quite a bit of meat left on them. Once I finished boiling them, I picked the rest of the meat off of the bones and added it to the soup (with about a cup of additional turkey meat cut into bite sized pieces). [pinit]
Turkey and Rice Soup
Recipe Type: Soup
Author: My Blue Heaven Home
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hour
- bones from turkey breast (some meat left on, but most removed)
- 1 cup cooked turkey breast (cut into bite sized pieces)
- enough water to almost cover the bones
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 bag sliced carrots
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 1/2 T seasoned salt
- 1 T onion powder
- 1/2 T parsley
- Add the turkey carcass and the bay leaves to a large pot and cover with water (depending on how big a pot of soup you're making, you may not want to totally cover it with water). Boil for 30 minutes.
- Remove the carcass and set aside to cool.
- Add carrots, rice and the remaining spices, cook until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Once the turkey bones are cool, remove any remaining meat and add it to the soup along with the additional 1 cup of cooked turkey breast.
- Simmer the soup for another 10 minutes on low.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.
More Like This
Recent Posts by annabkelley
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Melissa Ford
Mom has a lot to check off her list this Summer, and Kellogg's cereal can help her get it done. How will you make the most of your Summer? Check out our blog posts as we share with you inspirational ideas for celebrating the moments of magic that will happen during this activity-filled time of year! PLUS enter for a chance to win as $100 Walmart gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Gluten-Free
Recent Comments on Gluten-Free