Turkey and Spinach Manicotti: Slimmed-Down Comfort Food
By Fitnfabfoody on April 24, 2013
Featured Member Post
A healthier version of a classic comfort food, this recipe is both delicious and satisfying. This meal is one of my favorites the night before a long run. It gives me the energy I need, without being too heavy in my tummy. And, of course, the thing I like best is that it feels like an indulgence, but with healthier ingredients substituted for the traditional it is a meal I can eat without feeling guilty.
Image: Courtesy of Fitnfabfoody
1 1/2 lb Ground Extra-Lean Turkey Breast
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1/4 – 1/2 White Onion, chopped
1/4 tsp Pepper
2 cups Roasted Garlic Parmesan Pasta Sauce (or any flavor you enjoy)
2 cups Baby Spinach
1/4 cup Black Olives, sliced
1/2 cup Fresh Mushrooms, sliced
16 tsp Low-Fat Ricotta Cheese
8 No-Boil Manicotti Noodles
Grated Parmesan Cheese
1. In a large skillet, brown turkey over medium heat. As turkey is browning, add garlic, onion, and pepper to skillet and combine with turkey as it cooks. Once browned, set aside.
2. In a separate skillet, saute black olives, mushrooms, and spinach for 2-3 minutes or until spinach just begins to wilt. Add 1 cup red sauce and cook over low-medium heat for another 2-3 minutes or until warm.
3. Using a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, pour 1 cup of red sauce (from the can, not the mixture you heated) in the bottom of the baking dish, spreading to cover entire bottom of dish.
4. Take each manicotti noodle and fill with turkey, leaving just a little room at both ends of the noodle. Then “plug” each end of the manicotti noodles with 1 tsp of ricotta cheese, so just a little is sticking out (you can look at the picture above for reference). Lay each manicotti noodle flat on top of red sauce in baking dish.
5. Top manicotti with red sauce and spinach mixture and sprinkle entire dish with Parmesan cheese to taste.
6. Bake, covered with foil, at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Fitnfabfoody
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Food
Recent Comments on Food