Tutorial Tuesday: Chalkboard Wall Hooks
By cathiefilian on February 14, 2012
BlogHer Original Post
I now have no excuses for forgetting! I am constantly dashing out the door and forgetting something behind so I wanted to make a little chalkboard / key hook that I could hang in my office.
I have been obsessed with chalkboard paint since it became readily available. Chalkboard paint turns almost any surface into a chalkboard. It is very easy to use and is available in tons of different colors. I love the traditional black/slate color for this project.
I whipped it up in just a few hours (including dry time) and I got the seal of approval from my hubby – he promptly hung his motorcycle keys on the hook. I don’t think he saw the pink crackle finish.
Please enjoy this little tutorial and give it a whirl.
Hook and Screws
1. First I painted the edge of the wood plaque with white paint. For this step, I just used one thick coat. Allow to dry.
2. Next, I applied a thick coat of crackle medium over the dry white paint. Dried for 1.5 hours.
3. Next, working in one direction, I applied a coat of black chalkboard paint to the top surface of the plaque. Allow to dry.
4. Working in the opposite direction as step 3 I applied a second coat of chalkboard paint. After it was dry I seasoned the chalkboard as described on the jar of paint. It is different for different brands so check the jar.
5. Next, I painted over the dried crackle finish with pink paint. I like to work quickly and in one direction.
6. I positioned the hook on the side and pre drilled holes.
7. I screwed in the hook with a few twists of a screwdriver.
8. I had some old scrapbooking letters on hand so I choose some letters to spell “MAKE”.
9. I used a mini hammer to attach the letters with decorative nails.
10. Add a picture hanger to the back, hang and chalk a message.
All posts in the BlogHer Winter Home Projects program are 100% editorial content presented by a participating sponsor. Our advertisers do not produce the content. This post is made possible by Home Depot and BlogHer.
More Like This
Recent Posts by cathiefilian
Most Popular on BlogHer
There’s no better vehicle to bring the family together than the Chevy Traverse. It’s the ultimate family vehicle, and the inspiration behind the tales that these bloggers are sharing about those special moments spent with their families. Check out the posts to see just how different, and, in many ways, the same, family time is nowadays as compared to when the bloggers were younger. Read more