The Ultimate Lasagna
By ToptoBottom on January 15, 2014
There is nothing better than comfort food. We all love comfort food, there is just something inside of us that screams for something, that makes you feel satisfied. One of my family’s favorite foods is lasagna. It is our favorite comfort food and when done right can melt anyone’s heart and make them come back for seconds and thirds.
Our family, from generation to generation, has tried everything from adding meat, vegetables, pepperoni, sausage etc. You name it and we have tried it. I came across a recipe for the Best Lasagna in the World. It is seriously delicious. I made a few alterations and it is now the treat we will be making for years to come. My brother moved to Korea about a year ago, to teach English and his one request was lasagna. In Korea, the tomato sauce is very different so pizza, pastas, and of course lasagnas do not have the same flavor as our homemade ones. Of course, I knew I better make him my special lasagna so I made a huge one and he has been eating it ever since. He almost seemed sad when he thought it was all gone but I was pleased to inform him that there were three pieces left. His exact response, “yeah those will be gone tomorrow.” So we have a winner and no one will walk away unhappy, I guarantee it, well except vegetarians. Hope you meat lovers enjoy this ultimate lasagna! Lisa, T2B
The Ultimate Meat Lasagna
Write a review
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 4-6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half or one third (depending on how many layers you want) of the ricotta cheese mixture. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over the ricotta layer and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Food