Uncle Jaime's Mango Cheese Cacao Pie
By Jittery Cook on March 10, 2012
I don't have an Uncle Jaime. That's just a nickname for Jim Vitale from El Encanto in Mexico. And it needs to be pronounced with a guttural "J" for the proper Spanish effect -- like "Chaime" or "Hymie". I did have an Uncle Hymie, and I think he would have loved this pie.
Jim is celebrating his 60th birthday tomorrow, and he's making a magical party at his enchanting retreat. There is no doubt that his desserts will be as delicious as this wonderful pie that he prepared for our group last week. You have to taste this to believe just how much it will penetrate your usual anti-calorie armour.
Uncle Jaime's Mango Cheese Cacao Pie Ingredients
- 1 graham cracker crust
- 1/4 c cacao nibs, ground in a processor until textured like loosely ground coffee
- 2 T brown sugar
- 16 oz cream cheese, at room temperature to soften
- 1/2 c coconut sugar crystals (or your favorite sweetener)
- 3/4 c sour cream or Greek yogurt (not low-fat)
- 20 dried mango slices, soaked 1/2 hr in hot water (or fresh mango 1/4" thick)
Sprinkle the ground cacao nibs in the bottom of the pie shell.
Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the ground cacao nibs.
Blend the softened cream cheese, the 1/2 cup of sugar and the sour cream using a mix master, a processor or by hand. Use a spatula to fill the pie shell with the cream cheese mixture.
Lay the reconstituted mango slices on top of the filled pie shell, overlapping slightly and filling in any tiny spaces with small mango patches.
- Best wishes Jim, from all your Canadian friends!
- Happiest Birthday wishes to Jessica Landin Botner! May all your dreams come true!
- This recipe is a guilty pleasure. Serve small slices and no seconds.
- Check out Shockingly Delicious for an Heirloom Cottage Cheese Pie low-calorie cheesecake alternative and for some top-notch blogging. You can blend this recipe with a low-fat one by adding the mango topping.
- Check out the Scrumptious Pumpkin for her Guiltless Triple Chocolate Cheesecake Squares with Raspberries.
- For my dog loving followers check out No Ruff Days.
- There are a few El Encanto photos below.
[slideshow] to see the slideshow, go to this post.
Holly blogs about cooking healthy, tasty food at Jittery Cook, and shares somewhat amusing details about her experiences and influences.