Vegan Antipasto Pizza
By Vegan Sparkles on May 03, 2012
I had a wicked craving for pizza the other night. The kind of craving that tempts you to drive to the local pizza shop in the rain and hope to heaven they can pull off a vegan pizza.
Then I remembered… I write a food blog! I could make a pizza myself! *light globe*
I was in the mood for a special pizza, though. A pizza so amazing, it would completely cure me of all junk food cravings for the week and possibly for life.
I set off for my local shop with a big bag and a big craving, but no inspiration. I dawdled up and down the fresh food aisle long enough to be a nuisance and for a guy to suspect me of stalking (I wasn’t this time, promise), but still couldn’t settle on anything. It had to be special. Really special.
Suddenly it hit me… the deli section! Antipasto! I skipped over there pronto and discovered that they were all on sale! It was destiny! This pizza and I were made for each other!
With a giddy grin, I gathered up my gourmet ingredients, danced back to the kitchen, and made the best vegan pizza I have ever had. Success! Give it a try and see if it doesn’t make you come over all warm and fuzzy:
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Spread a pizza base with crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and basil pesto (see below). Use as much sauce as you like. I believe the secret to a great vegan pizza is lots of sauce, so I add a lot, but you might prefer less.
- Top with your choice of antipasto from the deli section or bought in jars, eg: sun-dried tomatoes, pitted black olives, marinated mushrooms, marinated artichoke, char-grilled capsicum strips.
- Bake on the middle shelf in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy your pizza piping hot, with a glass of Shiraz, your favourite person/people in the world, and a great DVD.
Basil Pesto – blend all ingredients until smooth:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 3 tbsp pine nuts
- Squeeze of lemon juice
That’s amore. ♥