Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes, Just Add Rosé
By KylieAntolini on February 03, 2013
Featured Member Post
With Valentine’s Day coming up, why buy roses when you can make them (and eat them) yourself? I guarantee they won’t be as delicious as these guys. It has been on my mind lately to dream up my own unique Valentine’s cupcake for the holiday. I thought of using rose water, rose petals, pistachios, lemon, lemonade, pink pink pink… but nothing really felt right. The inspiration for these came when I opened the fridge this morning. Rosé. My aha! moment. There was a half-drunk bottle of rosé wine in my fridge, staring right at me, and my cupcakes were going to get drunk off the rest of it.
Image: Courtesy of The Baking Bird
And oh man, are they happy and drunk. I got the strawberries soaked and drunk in it, and got the flour in the batter drunk on it (3/4 cup, yo!). The strawberries were lonely in their little plastic carton and wanted to party, so I combined everything together and made magic. (Yes, it’s true, the inspiration came from just staring in my fridge. I think I spend too much time in the kitchen.)
The batter tastes and looks just like the strawberry cake mix out of a Betty Crocker box. But I can assure you, it’s free of those nasty chemicals and tastes a billion times better. So if you’re a strawberry cake fan, this is definitely for you!
These turned out ridiculously amazing. I was throughly impressed. With or without the frosting, they are deelicious. They’re super-pretty to look at and will impress any guy or gal from head to toe. I’m tellin’ ya, don’t waste your money on a dozen roses. Just bake a dozen roses instead! And eat them. ALL.
Happy (early) Valentine’s Day! Because I love you.
Vegan Strawberry Rosé Valentine Cupcakes
1 H 30 minutes
1 H 30 minutes
For the Marinated Strawberries
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1 cup rosé wine
For the Batter
- 3/4 cup rosé wine
- 1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: pinkish red gel food coloring
For the Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine
- 3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons reserved strawberry rosé wine marinade
- Pinkish red gel food coloring
For the Marinated Strawberries and the Batter
- In a small bowl, marinate the diced strawberries in the wine for at least 30 minutes prior to folding into batter. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk the rosé wine, vanilla soy milk, and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. Set aside for several minutes to get curdled.
- Beat together the wine-soy milk mixture with the oil, sugar, and vanilla.
- Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until no large lumps remain.
- Add in the food coloring gel, if using, until you reach your desired color. I preferred mine to be a lightish pink (about 4-6 drops).
- Strain the strawberries from the wine (but reserve) and add to the batter. You will use the strawberry-wine mixture for the frosting.
- Fill cupcake liners near the line (you should have enough batter to evenly distribute into 12 liners), and bake 20 minutes. (I have a hot oven and it bakes quickly... If you do not, just bake em a little longer.)
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.
For the Buttercream Frosting
- Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy.
- Add the sugar, reserved wine marinade, and food coloring. Beat until well combined.
- Fill a pastry frosting bag fit with a rose petal decorating tip (see examples here) with the frosting, and pipe on a rose design (see tutorial here) for each cupcake. Voilà! So pretty and easy!
See more photos here: TheBakingBird.com.
More Like This
Recent Posts by KylieAntolini
Most Popular on BlogHer
UPDATE: Human Trafficking Hits Close to Home For One Blogger: 14-Year-Old Jewel Fitzgerald Has Been Found
Mary Kay® is the Official Beauty Sponsor of the 50th Annual Academy of Country Music® Awards, which air on Sunday, April 19, 2015, at 8/7c on CBS. To celebrate, celebrity makeup artist, Moani Lee created three stunning country music-inspired looks that our bloggers had a wonderful time recreating. Read our bloggers' posts and get a chance to win a Mary Kay gift pack! Read more
Most Popular on Vegetarian and Vegan
Recent Comments on Vegetarian and Vegan
By Kalyn Denny