We survived the first 6 months!
I truly can't believe that my little girl is 6 months old already. It seems like just yesterday I was in the hospital having her. Things started out rough the first few months; we dealt with colic and I was really wondering when the light at the end of the tunnel would appear. Thank goodness it did and now my little one is generally a happy girl.
Here is what we are in to these days:
- She LOVES to eat sweet potatoes. She opens her mouth wide for each bite and her whole body wiggles with each bite! At church this weekend she threw a fit because she ate it all and there was none left!
- She LOVES our dogs and cat. She follows them with her eyes all around the house. She tries to grab at them and "pet" them.
- She loves to play peek-a-boo with mommy.
- She loves music, especially grandma playing the guitar and singing to her.
- She likes laughing with daddy at funny noises he makes.
- She has mastered rolling and enjoys making her way around the living room, especially under the table.
- She loves to chew on just about everything: rattles, toys, fingers, hair, her feet/toes, fingers... you get the picture! ;)
- Speaking of hair, she loves pulling on mama's hair, but mama doesn't enjoy this one as much. I see a hair cut coming in my future.
So surviving the first 6 months of having a baby is a great milestone, in my opinion at least. Things start falling into a natural routine. I can figure out what she wants and needs better. She is more interactive and happier. Sleep is gradually sleeping better too, which is a plus for both of us. So here is my list of must-haves to survive the first 6 months of baby! These are just my opinion and are personally what helped us. Of course each baby is different.
- Comfortable Rocking Chair - This is number one because for us doing only nursing, I've spent many hours sitting in her room at nights nursing. And rocking, can't forget that. Definitely spend the money and get a nice, comfortable one.
- Swaddle Me blankets by Summer Infant - These were a lifesaver for us. E would get out of any swaddle with a regular blanket no matter how tight I wrapped it. She really did sleep better once we started using these.
- Mommy's Bliss Gripe Water - E has a lot of gas troubles and colic at the beginning, this was a wonderful thing to have on hand. And I felt better about giving her something because it was all natural.
- Little Tummies Gas Drops - I like using the Little Tummies brand for gas drops because it is dye free.
- Colic Calm - If the regular gripe water or gas drops did not help, Colic Calm came to the rescue. It has some charcoal in it to help settle tummies and also some chamomile to help calm and relax her.
- Happiest Baby on the Block DVD - My good friend from church gave me this dvd and it literally was a LIFESAVER for us! Definitely a must to watch and it works!
- Moby Wrap - I don't use this much anymore, but the first 3 months this was perfect for carrying her around the house or out and about. She would fall asleep every time!
- Ergo Carrier - I love my Ergo. It is great to hikes, going to the store, or for just around the house if she is especially fussy and needs to be close to mama, but I need my hands.
- Fisher Price Glow Seahorse - My good friend from church gave us this as a baby shower gift, take that back, her son gave it for E. They are going to be married some day after all, so he has to start early! ;) She loves this though and many nights she would fall asleep to it playing.
- GumDrop Pacifiers - My daughter won't take any other type of pacifiers, so all pacifiers we got as shower gifts are sitting in a container, not used!
- Philips Avent Soothie Pacifiers - Before GumDrops, she would take the Soothie pacifiers that you get in the hospital, so they are on the list!