Weekend Menu Planning: Ten New Ideas with Turkey Leftovers
By Kalyn Denny on November 26, 2010
BlogHer Original Post
One thing that makes writing about food so fun is that the imagination of good cooks is limitless, so interesting and new food ideas keep popping up every year. That's certainly true with ideas for using leftover turkey, and although I've been spotlighting recipes using Thanksgiving leftovers for BlogHer readers since 2007, there are still unique turkey recipe ideas this year that you probably haven't thought of. In no particular order, here are 10 new ideas for leftover turkey from Thanksgiving 2010. Of course, if you really have a lot of leftover turkey, check out the ideas from previous years as well.
Photo of Leftover Turkey Sandwiches with Homemade Cranberry Barbecue Sauce From Baking Bites
(1) Some people think turkey sandwiches are the best thing about Thanksgiving, so if you have turkey sandwich lovers at your house, surprise them with these Leftover Turkey Sandwiches with Homemade Cranberry Barbecue Sauce from Baking Bites.
Photo of Turkey Congee from Steamy Kitchen
(2) Congee (also called jook) is a type of savory rice porridge that's often eaten for breakfast in Asia, and I think this Turkey Congee from Steamy Kitchen looks like a very interesting way to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
Photo of Creamed Turkey and Biscuits from Dinner with Julie
(3) Some of the best turkey leftovers are the ones that keep the Thanksgiving flavors going, and I think the Creamed Turkey (or chicken) and Biscuits from Dinner with Julie sounds like a tasty option.
Photo of Turkey Spring Rolls from White on Rice Couple
(4) You'd be hard-pressed to find a more beautiful way to use leftover turkey than these Turkey Spring Rolls from White on Rice Couple, and this is also a lighter option if you over-indulge and need to recover after the big day.
Photo of Turkey Fried Rice from The Perfect Pantry
(5) Another Asian-inspired way to use leftover turkey is this Turkey (or chicken) Fried Rice from The Perfect Pantry.
Photo of Turkey Tamales with Guajillo-Cranberry Mole from Homesick Texan
(6) I have a sister-in-law who makes homemade tamales for holidays, so I love tamales and just adore the idea of these Turkey Tamales with Guajillo-Cranberry Mole from Homesick Texan.
Photo of Leftover Turkey Pot Pie from Andrea Meyers
(7) Pot pie is a classic use of leftover turkey that never goes out of style, and I thought the Leftover Turkey Pot Pie from Andrea Meyers looked like a delicious version of this traditional dish.
Photo of Guy-Friendly Turkey and Bean Breakfast Hash from Food Blogga
(8) Susan from Food Blogga has a new cookbook called Recipes Every Man Should Know, and her Guy-Friendly Turkey and Bean Breakfast Hash is a great example of the kind of recipes she's been trying out for the book.
Photo of Roasted Tomatillo and Turkey Sour Cream Enchiladas from Fab Frugal Food
(9) Roasted Tomatillo and Turkey Sour Cream Enchiladas from Fab Frugal Food sound like a kicked-up version of those chicken enchiladas made with canned soup that so many of us grew up with. This is after-Thanksgiving comfort food at its best!
Photo of Turkey and Guacamole Quesadillas from Kalyn's Kitchen
(10) Finally, my own favorite turkey leftover idea last year was these Turkey and Guacamole Quesadillas, something I'd happily make with leftover chicken all year long!
More Leftover Turkey Recipe Ideas From BlogHer to Make You Drool:
- Top Ten List of What to Make with Leftover Turkey (2007)
- Healthy Recipes for Thanksgiving Leftovers (from Catherine Morgan - 2008)
- Save That Turkey Carcass and Your Leftover Turkey and Turn It Into Soup (2008)
- 10 Turkey Soup Ideas Your Family Will Love (2009)
If you're cooking a turkey this Thanksgiving, we'd love to hear in the comments about what you'll be making with the leftovers. If you're a food blogger who's posted recipe ideas for leftover turkey, please share the link as well.<?p>
(Every week on BlogHer, we spotlight five recipes with a common theme for a feature called Weekend Menu Planning, hoping one of them might make it onto the menu at your house. You can find previous recipes shared by checking the Weekend Menu Planning Archives or clicking the tag Weekend Menu Planning.)
Kalyn Denny also blogs at Kalyn's Kitchen where she's focused on creating low-glycemic recipes using fresh ingredients. Every year Kalyn tries out new ideas for turkey leftover recipes, and this year's favorite is Coconut-Lime Turkey (or chicken) and Rice Soup.
More Like This
Recent Posts by Kalyn Denny
Most Popular on BlogHer
There’s no better vehicle to bring the family together than the Chevy Traverse. It’s the ultimate family vehicle, and the inspiration behind the tales that these bloggers are sharing about those special moments spent with their families. Check out the posts to see just how different, and, in many ways, the same, family time is nowadays as compared to when the bloggers were younger. Read more
Most Popular on Food
Tyson Fresh Chicken Reviews
With a little help from Tyson Fresh Chicken, bloggers share their favorite chicken recipes for mealtime with the family. Read their posts and enter for a chance to win a kitchen goods gift basket!