Welcome to a Month of Photo Tips on BlogHer!
By Julie Ross Godar on August 15, 2011
BlogHer Original Post
I am the world's worst photographer. I'm not being self-deprecating. I really am.
And I'm over it. Being utterly unable to record my memories at this year's BlogHer hobbled me -- personally and professionally.
Also: Humiliating. THIS is my absolute best BlogHer '11 pic.
Yeah, I can't tell that's Ricki Lake either.
There's no excuse. "Oh, I do the words, not the pictures?" Bull. I select and format images a kabillion times a day at work -- I know I have an OK eye. And I know we all improve by doing, and by looking. There is SO MUCH great photography, SO MANY self-taught women whose blogs invite me to swim in their imagery:
- I was so inspired by Eden's photo-documenting of her memorial project, which she recounted at the BlogHer '11 Voices of the Year keynote.
- And the photog Eden mentioned, who spread the word in LA with a beautiful project was no other than BlogHer '11 photographer Alex Asher Sears. Lovely.
- Laurie White, also a BlogHer event photographer, never fails to impress me.
- I was also floored during last year's Voices of the Year by The Picture Hope project.
- I'm a food writer and food photography really intimidates me -- and I was so inspired by Penny De Los Santos at BlogHer Food '10 and BlogHer '11 this year.
- I can't stop looking at Heather's post on Vivian Maier's street photography.
...Just to name a tiny few.
I am a researcher (that whole Jeopardy! thing), and my way of tackling a problem like this is to compile the data. So here we go with A Month of Photo Tips. I'm going to be sharing quick fixes, Aha! moments, cool tricks I never would have thought of ... and a lot more. There's so much out there -- I feel like I've barely started looking, and I'm once again astonished by and in love with bloggers helping bloggers.
If you have links to photo tips and photobloggers who inspire you, leave them in the comments! I may feature them later in the month -- and I and my photo-learning cohorts sure could use them. And if you have particular questions or issues you want help with, be sure to let me know and I'll try to find an expert answer. Stay tuned every day for the next 31 days for a new tip!
More Like This
Recent Posts by Julie Ross Godar
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Photography
Recent Comments on Photography