What Not to Give at a Baby Shower: Useless Gifts You'll Be Better Off Without
By Frantic Mama on June 24, 2013
Featured Member Post
My son is now 3, and my daughter is almost 9 months. I have a pretty good idea of gifts that are useful, and those that...aren't. Here are the ones I wouldn't register for or buy for an expecting mother:
1. Onesies: Why are there so many of these on the market? And why does everyone give them to you in mass quantities when you're pregnant? It's awful to squeeze a squirming baby's head into that tiny little neck hole. Babies cry enough already. Don't give them another reason to do so.
2. Fancy outfits with lots of snaps and buttons: People who are too old to remember how exhausting it is to have a baby or people who have never had a baby are the culprits here. Goodwill could open a new store (The Unwearables?) with all the guilt-inducing expensive baby clothes people give. These are the clothes that hang in the baby's closet until they are outgrown. Or worse yet, they remain in beautiful gift bags and boxes, calling out to you, taunting you: "Really? You're gonna leave the baby in that same old hand-me-down sleep n' play for the second day in a row?" Let's do new moms a favor and save the complicated clothing for when the children go off to school.
3. Baby washcloths and towels: Don't waste valuable registry real estate here. Just use some you already own.
4. One of those 12 month frames: Talk about unnecessary stress. Is it the end of the month already? Really? I need to take another posed picture of the baby (in a complicated, fancy outfit) to put in her silver plated 12 month frame! Then I'll use her next nap to upload it, order it, cut it so it fits the tiny space. God, I'm exhausted just thinking about it.
5. Ditto for those precious handprint and footprint kits.*
6. The Diaper Genie: The cartridges are ridiculously expensive. And it is a total pain to refill it when you are sleep deprived at 2 AM and realize the last cartridge is buried deep in the baby's closet somewhere. A trash can works really well for...trash.
What useless baby stuff is collecting dust in your basement?
*=Unless the giver of said handprint kit sets a time and date upon gifting this to come over and do it herself while Mama gets to lie down. Then, yes, go ahead and buy one!
If you'd like some useful baby gift ideas and necessities, check out Frantic Mama's blog entry from February 2013, aptly titled Useful Baby Products.
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
By Genie Gratto
Children have unique nutritional needs that set the stage for their health later in life. Understanding essential nutrients, and ensuring that your kids are getting enough of them, will help support optimal health now and in the future. Read our blogger's post and see how you can add essential nutrients to your children's diet. Read more
Most Popular on Family
By Genie Gratto
Marshalls Reviews & Giveaway
Have you shopped for your children's Back to School outfits? Marshalls carries the latest trends that your stylish kids will love! Read our bloggers' reviews and see why they chose Marshalls plus get a chance to win a $100 Marshalls gift card.