When do you report a threatening online situation?

If you are attacked or threatened online, how do you decide when it's time to bring in the police or a lawyer?

I'm not sure there is a rule of thumb for this. I would say certainly get help if you felt you were in physical danger from a stalker or someone who leaves threats on your blog.

If someone who sends you messages saying things like, "I know where you live. I know where your kids go to school. I'm going to get you." then I would suggest you call the police. On the other hand, if you get a blog comment saying something like, "How can you be such an idiot?" then it seems safe to blow it off.

Where would you draw the line?

Virginia DeBolt
BlogHer Technology Contributing Editor