Whole Wheat Flax Seed Waffles
By sugarspiceandbacon on January 19, 2013
Do you have a long weekend this weekend? I do and I am SO looking forward to it! I think my favorite thing about long weekends is the morning. When you wake up in the morning and don't have anywhere to rush off too. You can stay in your PJ's as long as you want. And you can make something delicious for breakfast. Something...like these whole wheat flax waffles.
Waffles are my very favorite breakfast. Hands down. No contest. When I was a kid (and still whenever I happen to be home on my birthday!) my mom makes us whatever breakfast we want. As far back as I can remember, I've never chosen anything except waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. Why would I? It's perfect!
I won't lie, these waffles aren't as good as my mom's...but they are pretty darn good AND healthful enough to eat for breakfast any old day of the week...no need to save them for your birthday!
To get your day started off on the right foot, these waffles are filled with whole grains, fiber, vitamins, and even omega-3s! So don't worry about drizzling on a little extra syrup ;)
What's my secret to perfect waffles? Be patient!! Nowadays, pretty much every waffle maker has a light that tells you when the waffles are done. I can't think of many things more tempting than to just lift the lid up a teeny tiny bit to see how the waffles are doing. In fact pretty much every time I make waffles my impatience and curiosity get the best of me, and I peek. And every time I regret it. For some reason, as soon as you peek, even when you almost immediately clamp the lid back down, that batch doesn't turn out as crispy as it should.
So do whatever you need to do - get outta the kitchen! do some laundry! unload the dishwasher! Whatever you do, just don't peek! Because then what you'll end up with are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, absolutely delicious (and healthy!) waffles.
If you're feeling frisky...load up your waffles with strawberries...then powdered sugar...maple syrup works great too...oh and don't forget the whipped cream! :)
Recipe: Whole Wheat Flax Waffles
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole unprocessed flaxseeds
- 1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Whisk milk, 1/3 cup melted butter, and eggs in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk milk mixture into dry ingredients. Allow batter to rest at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray and preheat. Pour in batter to your waffle iron's specifications. Cook waffles until crisp. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Waffles can be kept warm in a 325 degree oven.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Most Popular on Food
Recent Comments on Food
By Shari Eberts