Your kids need to know!
By inspire planning on October 08, 2010
We all know that teaching our kids to be polite and respect other people is pretty important.
What about teaching our kids to respect the earth, how many parents make this a priority?
We are packing so much into our days that we barely have enough time for homework, let alone a new subject. I think doing 1 thing a month to show our kids that the Earth is important is a goal that we can all achieve. We really don't want our kids to look back at us and say WTF were they thinking? It is their future that we're messing with! Do you think they want to be dealing with our trash or severe weather (due to climate change), that is only getting worse, in 50 years?
Here are a just a few ideas to introduce or continue teaching your kids about climate change:
If you have a baby or a toddler:
- Get them outside! Start to teach babies right away that there is more to the world than a TV screen. ( I write this as my baby watches baby Einstein beside me...We'll be going outside later..)
- Make a point to recycle in front of them, let them see that this is just a part of life. Talk to them about why it's important to recycle.
- Let them watch or help plant a tree or garden and they will develop a taste for it early on
- Read them books about the environment. My kids love "It's Earth Day" by Mercer Mayer and "I can save the Earth" by Alison Inches. Be super eco-friendly look for books like these at a local used bookstore
- Make something that will spark a conversation like this great Pizza Box Solar Oven
- Use Tupperware (pvc, bpa free) or a cool reusable sandwich bag in their lunch and let them know that they are helping to save the planet by not using plastic bags
- Take them to a farmers market, then have them help you prepare a meal with the things you bought. Start a clear understanding of where food comes from early.
- Have them check out this Climate Kids website that is put on by NASA or the climate change kids site by the EPA.
If you have a tween:
- Take them to a beach or park to clean up litter, have them invite some friends and buy them some yummy food afterwards.
- Have them check out EEK! Another great website.
- To persuade them with pop culture check out Global Warming celebrities
If you have a teen:
- Chances are they are more knowledgable about the environment than you anyway....
- Grab them a documentary like the 11th hour, an Inconvenient truth or Food inc.
My 6 year old has been into Calvin and Hobbes comics lately. The other night I came across a great story. Calvin decided he and Hobbes were going to Mars, because the Earth is too polluted. Wow, even Calvin and Hobbes (in 1990) are hip to the fact that the earth is in trouble.
Get updates on posts like this by subscribing to Inspire Planning, shopaholic to ecoholic
More Like This
Most Popular on BlogHer
Save time, money and space with the FoodSaver® Vacuum Sealing System! AND it keeps food fresh up to 5x longer! Read our bloggers' experiences with the FoodSaver® System and see why you should get one for your home. Plus get a chance to win $100 Visa gift card! Read more
Most Popular on Family
Recent Comments on Family